Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking for a greek style roast chicken recipe

Options
There is a local Greek restaurant in Birmingham, Taziki's, that makes a roasted chicken with greek herbs on the skin and basil/lemon slices under the skin. Does anyone have a recipe similar to this that I can spatchcock?

Thanks
Killen, AL (The Shoals)
XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs

Comments

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    See if you can find some of the John Henry's Greek rub. It is amazing on chicken. We use about a bottle a month.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Best Greek roast chicken is the whole bird, lemon inside the cavity, EVOO with zest, garlic, oregano and marjoram on the skin. I've not been able to get the same taste with a spatched bird, any of the Greek rubs will give a similar flavor, just not the same.
    SWMBO likes standard souvlaki marinade used on the bird. If you find a good one, please let me know. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    If you can get a bottle of Retsina - the greek pine resin flavored white wine, it's great when added to a marinade for chicken. Braised lamb shanks with all the usual veggies and retsina as the braising liquid is amazing.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• sstripes96
    Options
    Here is a recipe. Don't remember where I found it. Granted, you cant do the spit on the Egg but I figured it was worth a try.

Spit Roasted Greek Chicken

Ingredients

• 2, 6 Pound Chickens
    • 3 Cups vegetable oil
    • 1 Cup EVOO
    • 1/2 Cup dry Greek oregano (Or dry mint)
    • 1/2 Cup coriander seed (Toasted & Ground)
    • 3 Lemons, Peel and juice (Use a peeler to extract just the skin)
    • 1/4 bunch Thyme
    • 6 Cloves garlic (crushed)

Preparation

Combine all ingredients and mix.

Use to baste Chicken while cooking.

When the bird comes out of the brine dry completely with paper towels inside and out.

Brush with baste, season with salt

Spit roast over hickory for 3-4 hours, baste every 10 minutes.

Bud
    Large BGE
    Lawrenceville, GA