Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking Brisket and had questions!

Options
So I am cooking a 10 lb brisket for tomorrow evening.  It has been marinading overnight and should be good with a rub!

I have two questions 1) I have seen a rule of about 1.5 hours / lb for cooking at 225.  What happens if I raise the temperature a bit to try and cook within 8-10 hours? 2) Sorry but a basic brisket question, the part that is good to chop up and cut into pieces for further cooking is the tip .. I assume this is the flat portion of the brisket or is it the bigger thicker end.

Sorry for the silly questions but just need to be prepared for cooking!

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    edited December 2013
    Options
    While I'm noooo expert but I would guess that raising the temp would sacrifice on tenderness. And yes you're correct on the flat/ point. I found these on google:
    Hope that helps.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Howdy Donwon.
    FIrst of all, the hours per pound thing is not really a good way to judge time. It is more of a curved graph than a straight line. If you want to do a 10 pounder in 8 -10 hours, you might try cooking at 275 for 5 or 6 hours. After that, once you build up a nice bark and smoke flavor, wrap it tightly in foil and return to cooker. Approx 2 hours later, when your internal temp hits 200 or 205 even, pull it off, cover with towels and rest at least an hour.

The point is the part that gets chopped up. It is a fatty muscle that is attached to one end of the flat. The flat, the long flat muscle with the grain running longwise, is generally sliced.
    Good luck!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Mine finished in 16 hours. .13.5 lbs @ 220. Hard to judge.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SmokingInMO
    Options
    Agree with Henapple I plan on 18 hours, 16 to smoke and 2 wrapped in a coller.  If it gets done sooner it's a bonus
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    That's good info, and that's what works for y'all, but the gentleman asked how to do it in 8-10 hours.It can be done…and surprisingly well.

Happy brisketeering!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    You guys are all correct and there are many ways to do them, but Chris (natureboy) knows how to do championship briskets in 8-10 hours. he does them all the time in competitions.....and brings home the hardware. If I were going to do one fast, I would listen to him
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Donwon9999
    Options
    Thanks for all of the info and yes looking for a temperature to cook for 8-10 hours.

Thanks!
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Thanks Centex…There are a lot of roads to a good brisket, and I sure have cooked a bunch of them. Actually, we do ours (12-15 pounds) in about 12 hours. Over the years I have settled in at a cooking temp of 240.  The 8-10 hour version is very common among other competitors, especially those cooking on offsets. Many winning teams put their briskets on at 4-5am for a 1:30 turn-in.  I've done quite a few 10 hour jobs…and it is quite doable. The bark washes out a little in the foil, but the product is tender and moist.

Funny, when we started competing in 2002, we put our briskets on at 3:30pm for a 1:30 turn in the next day. Rode the whole thing through at 215-220 without foiling. Yep, 22 hours….and it was pretty good actually.

No one way to do it that's for sure. 
    Cheers!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I never wrap but I don't ever have to. I can do them reliably in an hour or so per at around 260-270. I go a little  lower most of the time though, just because.

There are as many ways to cook briskets as there are brisket cooks I guess.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX