Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Do I have eyebrows left?

Ok, what the f#^€k(pardon the language) gives with the major backdraft on these things, really? I cook bbq for a living and have never had what just happened to me happen. Could some please explain the processes for avoiding this?
·

Comments

• when you are doing hi temp cooks you have to burp your egg in other words you need to just open it like a inch to let the air slowly go into the Egg if you open all the way with out burping you get a major back draft and well you know the rest 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
    ·
  • It goes like this. If you are shutting down a hot fire like a sear and then roast or if the egg is choked with ash and you have a lot of lump burning you introduce an unlimited supply of oxygen and it will flashback, backflash, back draught. The original method of dealing with this is called burping, where you open the dome and close a couple of times. This resulted in a hell of a lot of burnt knuckles and arm hair. The right way to deal with it is to be aware of the conditions that will cause it and open both vents wide before you open the dome. They will flash out of the lower vent too sometimes so you need to learn to stand aside when cooking hot. Most of us get hammered and forget this invaluable info and get blasted every once in a while.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • Jeremiah said:
    Welcome to the club. Initiation is now complete. Proceed to cook.

Kurobuta baby back from snake river, grass feed strip from brasstown N.C. I plan to.
    ·
  • minniemohminniemoh Posts: 1,341
    Most of us get hammered and forget this invaluable info and get blasted every once in a while.
    Hmmmm... So true! 

Never had mine flash out the bottom that I've noticed but I can see how it could happen. I suppose a guy could lose his eyebrows and his kneecap hair all in one shot! I had one cook a few weeks ago using a very popular brand of charcoal on the forum. The bag had a lot of fines in it and I had 5 or 6 flashes in one cook even after I thought I had burped it enough. Got to the point where I just used the welding glove on to open the lid for that cook. 

I also find that I get more flashes when I start the egg from the bottom below the fire grate. There's just a lot of oxygen starved coals in the bottom that way. I guess there's trade offs for getting up to cooking temp in 10 minutes. 

By the way, if you're trying to convince a buddy to buy an egg, the flashbacks are a bit intimidating.
    L x2, M, S, and Mini. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
    ·
  • Forgot this
    image.jpg 1.7M
    ·
  • minniemohminniemoh Posts: 1,341
    =))  OH! BUUUUURRRRNNN!
    L x2, M, S, and Mini. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
    ·
  • Bastid!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    The flashback can be your friend. After lighting the Egg for a hot pizza cook, was still getting a lot of 'bad smoke'. Opened her up to a major flashback, and immediately the bad smoke was gone and I was good to go. I've only had one bottom vent flash, which was pretty scary wearing shorts.
  • Best way to avoid it is to stand back and burp =))
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
    ·
  • Eyebrows are over-rated. 

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,564
    That's how Centex gets his crack and sack wax.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • bud812bud812 Posts: 1,438
    henapple said:
    That must be tough on the ol tallywaker. L-)

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,400
    Coletrain, what is your Brasstown connection? Just a farmer you found online? I lived there for 5 years.
    ·
  • bud812 said:
    henapple said:
    It's better to look good than to feel good

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    Janelle calls him "slick".
    ·
  • I have never had it back-flash like this even when I have had it at ~750+.... but, my vents are generally wide open at those temp.
    ·
  • I thought I read on the forum somewhere that you can avoid flashbacks by closing the vents before lifting the dome.
    Bronxville, New York. XLBGE, MBGE
    ·
  • It usually only happens once. There is a fast learning curve. :)
    XL, large and small. Hartwell GA on beautiful Lake Hartwell.
    ·
  • The Cen-Tex SmokerThe Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 12,712
    edited December 2013
    I thought I read on the forum somewhere that you can avoid flashbacks by closing the vents before lifting the dome.

would you mind trying that with video rolling for us? I'm sure you will be fine :))

·
  • I thought I read on the forum somewhere that you can avoid flashbacks by closing the vents before lifting the dome.

l would you mind trying that with video rolling for us? I'm sure you will be fine :))

If you weren't kidding and for those who don't know, this is exactly the way you do get flashbacks

·
    I get flashbacks from 82..nothing to do with the egg.
    ·

I thought I read on the forum somewhere that you can avoid flashbacks by closing the vents before lifting the dome.

l

would you mind trying that with video rolling for us? I'm sure you will be fine :))

If you weren't kidding and for those who don't know, this is exactly the way you do get flashbacks

They call me Mello yellow...

Quite right, slick...
    ·
  • dweebs0rdweebs0r Posts: 507
    edited December 2013
    bud812 said:
    henapple said:
    Nah its cold outside.  Think of a scared turtle.
    -Jody Newell (LBGE & a mini BGE!)
    ·
    Well, CT does have a pool...

·
  • bud812 said:
    henapple said:
    Wrap it in foil first.....
    Simi Valley, California
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,848
    Well, CT does have a pool... image
    This is random, but gifs such as this one freak me out because I swear I can hear the audio when I know there is none...

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • :)
    Bronxville, New York. XLBGE, MBGE
    ·
  • Coletrain, what is your Brasstown connection? Just a farmer you found online? I lived there for 5 years.

I get it from one of my meat suppliers, Buckhead beef. I also get pigs from them sometimes, the pork is insanely good also.
    ·