Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help, it's going to rain!

New to egg cooking.

I bought a nice piece of salmon a couple of hours ago. It was not supposed to rain until later tonight... but it has started to drizzle. 

How do you keep the rain out of your fire... especially when starting with the top off? 

I can't cook this fish in the house... wife objects to smell... and we both love it on the grill.

When I had the gasser it was covered without a hole in top.

I want to cook in about an hour. Besides standing out there with an umbrella for 15 mins, anyone got an idea? Maybe make a top-hat thing out of tin foil?

Need ideas... now... or the cats get the fish (lucky cats... it is a $10 filet of salmon!)

Thanks.

AC

Comments

• just cook as if it wasn't raining the Egg will be fine 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Just roll on. 15 minutes under an umbrella is a small price to pay.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • acegg77
    acegg77 Posts: 120
    It's like 33 degrees out. Not going to stand with an umbrella... wife would not let me (I have some health issues anyway.)

I'm trying to think of some way to make a "high hat" thing like you see on metal fireplace chimneys out of foil that I could sit on top of the egg. This is what I really need: 

• BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    edited December 2013
    Agreed with the others. The rain will not really affect your cook enough to make a difference. Another option is to get a chimney cap from Eggware. Works great.

http://smokeware.net//Stainless_Steel_Vented_Chimney_Cap.html
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • acegg77
    OK, but I guess I should start with dome closed? I always start with it open for first 10 mins to burn off the fire-starter.

Won't cold rain damage the hot ceramic of the BGE? I guess not if you guys are doing it. 

Love my BGE... use it 5 nights a week. But this is first rain of the season here. 
  • acegg77
    Ok. Solid drizzle here. I lit the egg and left it open. So far it's starting. I'll close it in a few mins once I get a couple of lumps starting to burn.

Thanks for the reassurance. You guys are really the best! Looking forward to a nice salmon dinner.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    You'll be fine. .it'll be good. The egg is a beast
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • I stand under a patio umbrella setup next to the egg. It keeps the rain from going down the top hole.  If its really windy and pouring you may get wet.
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    I'm sure that's pretty miserable too. Cold and wet is not fun but there's something about cooking outdoors when the weather isn't perfect. I think the smoke smells even better.

Steak is going on soon here!

L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • acegg77
    The salmon came out great. It is still raining out, Egg is still warm... does not look like I'll be able to cover it... would not want to do that while it is wet even when it cools down later on (is 7 PM now.) In the morning I'll wipe it down so it does not rust. I spent a whole Social Security check for this thing... I need to make it last 10 years or so... maybe even outlive me (hope not)!

Thanks for all this last minute help. You guys are the best with newbies. 
  • acegg77 said:
    The salmon came out great. It is still raining out, Egg is still warm... does not look like I'll be able to cover it... would not want to do that while it is wet even when it cools down later on (is 7 PM now.) In the morning I'll wipe it down so it does not rust. I spent a whole Social Security check for this thing... I need to make it last 10 years or so... maybe even outlive me (hope not)!

mine has been outside uncovered for 9 years. 4 years in the WI winters and 5 in the TX summers. I threw my cover away after my 3rd cook. I have never wiped it down or really ever cleaned the outside other than the one time my table burned down and my egg had black streaks all over it. It all wiped right off and it looks as good as ever. i don't have a spot of rust, or a single defect other than the user. you are fine. relax and enjoy your evening. you egg has many,many years of service left.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    acegg77 said:

Don't worry... all the egg'n in your future will make you live longer. Just one more good thing to get up for everyday. Glad your cook went well.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    minniemoh said:

I'm sure that's pretty miserable too. Cold and wet is not fun but there's something about cooking outdoors when the weather isn't perfect. I think the smoke smells even better.

Steak is going on soon here!

Sorry for the off topic question, but in your pic (yr screen shot) what is that battery symbol (between the percentage number and Bluetooth symbol)?

Slumming it in Aiken, SC.