Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Just got a Mapp Torch . Game Changer !!!

I just got this thing and I gotta say , It is the greatest thing !! If you don't have one I would highly recommend it . I lit the egg in less than 30 seconds and the heat was where I wanted it 10 minutes later !!

I am amazed at this thing . 
Toronto

Comments

• +1. It is the only way I've ever lit an Egg. Sparks might be the only downfall.
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • +1 I have played with all the lighting implements BGE electric starter,Looft lighter,BGE fire starters and of corse the Mapp torch and IMO their is nothing better then the Mapp torch !!!
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • QDudeQDude Posts: 664
    Where did you get it and how much?

A northern Colorado Egghead since 2012!

XL and a Small BGE.

• pantsypantspantsypants Posts: 1,191
    I got it at Home Depot and it was $60 but I am in Toronto so the price will be a bit less in the States (I would imagine.

the Ts8000 apparently burns 30 % higher than the ts4000 .

Toronto
  • I use a weed burner. I can't remember how much it was, but it was not $60. Here's a photo of what I use from Lowes.
    Flint, Michigan
  • bud812bud812 Posts: 1,828
    I use a weed burner. I can't remember how much it was, but it was not $60. Here's a photo of what I use from Lowes. image
    +1 and it keeps your hands away from the sparks.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• bud812 said:
    I use a weed burner. I can't remember how much it was, but it was not $60. Here's a photo of what I use from Lowes. image
    +2.  In respect of the Boy Scouts credo to always be prepared, I have a Mapp torch in reserve along with a loftlighter.

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• robnybbqrobnybbq Posts: 1,907
    +1 on the Mapp torch

Garnerville, NY

• bud812 said:

I use a weed burner. I can't remember how much it was, but it was not $60. Here's a photo of what I use from Lowes.

+2.  In respect of the Boy Scouts credo to always be prepared, I have a Mapp torch in reserve along with a loftlighter.

I was never a Boy Scout. I was in the politically incorrect Indian Guides. We thinkem fire good (heh, heh, heh). I have a Dewalt hot air gun and I can always use a veg oil soaked paper towel.
    Flint, Michigan
  • CookinbobCookinbob Posts: 1,690

Which one did you get?  the 8000 or the 4000?
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • @Fred19Flinstone

I also have the old fashioned electric starter that I bought at the same time as my first egg and a box of starter cubes and I would never be adversed to using the oil soaked paper towel route!

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• NsdexterNsdexter Posts: 193
    Coleman the tent maker sells something similar to a mapp or propane torch but only lights when theres fire infrot of it, its made to start campfires but for 7$ It was way cheaper than a mapp torch and its almost 3 feet long so you are away from the sparks aswell

HFX NS
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 18,625
    My Mapp is only to light my Mini. Real men have this for Larges: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

• Mickey  isn't that a little over kill ??
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Mickey  isn't that a little over kill ??
    He's compensating.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

i got the 8000.
    its glorious
    Cookinbob said:

I got the TS8000
    Toronto
  • dlk7dlk7 Posts: 1,052
    The TS8000 has aluminum threads, so either leave the head on the bottle or be very careful each time you re-attach to the MAP bottle.  They wear down quickly.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

thats good intel !!
    thanks
    Toronto
  • CookinbobCookinbob Posts: 1,690
    TS8000 is on my Christmas list!
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • CANMAN1976CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,590
    I've got the 4000 and it's awesome!
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****? 

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • KennyLeeKennyLee Posts: 747
    I've got the 4000 and it's awesome!

So do I....love it.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 13,928

bud812 said:

I use a weed burner. I can't remember how much it was, but it was not $60. Here's a photo of what I use from Lowes.

I was never a Boy Scout. I was in the politically incorrect Indian Guides. We thinkem fire good (heh, heh, heh). I have a Dewalt hot air gun and I can always use a veg oil soaked paper towel.

Oh Damn. I first read vag oil soaked paper towels. Whew!
  • Everyone in the know uses liquid oxygen to light lump.  Absolutely no aftertaste and 700°F in 30 seconds flat..  >:)
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa