Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

All this Bacon talk....

Comments

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    so I finally got my bacon's salt content perfect (used too much salt during cure but blanch helped greatly) and it is tasty . . but I am far from content.  I think the main reason I am still not content is two things:

1) I never got my AMS for cold smoke consistent.  I had to check on and re-light almost every hour.  My finished product had very very light smoke flavor because I just ran out of time and patience.
    2) After I fry the finished bacon, the texture is . . . ummm, different?  It has a slight chew and almost seems a little flat rather than that nice crisp.  Maybe I am just slicing it too thick or maybe the cut of pork belly I bought was too lean?  I have been buying "nueskes bacon" for last year and fell in love . . . so maybe I am just spoiled and need to adjust my mind for the homemade product?   
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • NDG
    DURING FRY  - see any red flags?
    AFTER Fry:

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    edited February 2013
    With all this talk of failing AMS why isn't the naked whiz paint can the recommended option for cold smoking at this point?
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    looks good ndg.  only flag would be if it wasn't cured it would turn grey in color instead of red when fried.
  • r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    Getting ready to start my cure. I have a question though. My pork belly came in frozen...I have thawed it and am going to cure ti and cold smoke it. Can I refreeze it again after that?
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    I assume you are going to slice it after you smoke it. I would package the portions you like in food saver type bags and freeze. Good luck.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • r270ba
    Yes slice after cold smoke, food saver, and refreeze. This will work?
    Anderson, SC

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    It's worked for me.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • r270ba
    Great. Thanks! Hope to have pics to share this week.
    Anderson, SC

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Will work fine. Mine was frozen. Thawed in fridge, cured, cold smoked, packaged, refrozen and use when needed. Have 1 lb left out my 10lb. Planning next batch.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Kempy
    Kempy Posts: 188
    Chubbs said:
    Will work fine. Mine was frozen. Thawed in fridge, cured, cold smoked, packaged, refrozen and use when needed. Have 1 lb left out my 10lb. Planning next batch.
    +1
  • NDG
    I figured I owe a quick product (AMS) update because my second round of bacon turned out great.  I heated pellets in oven, and let "flame" burn 10 mins before blowing it out, and it burn for a good 6 hours. Next up cold smoked salmon!
    Columbus, OH

• NDG
    I lied . . More bacon going today.  Should I be worried about meat temp getting too warm? No longer winter so its been at outside temp over 60 degrees for couple hours already and planned to keep it going 7 hrs.  Please let me know if I have an issue with the cured meat and pathogens/health issues.
    Columbus, OH

• NDG said:
    I lied . . More bacon going today.  Should I be worried about meat temp getting too warm? No longer winter so its been at outside temp over 60 degrees for couple hours already and planned to keep it going 7 hrs.  Please let me know if I have an issue with the cured meat and pathogens/health issues.
    you are fine. The smoke and the cure will protect it. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • NDG
    Columbus, OH

• NDG
    Getting 10lbs of belly later, so I just read over this post again as a refresher.  I ask tons of stupid questions and so glad people answer them.    It reminded me how thankful for everyone's help - this is a great forum! 

I scribbled tips/reminders from this post on numerous pages in my charcuterie (ruhlmn) book . . but this post is a classic for me!  FYI my last batch in spring turned out UNREAL, so now its back by popular demand for the holiday season. I am going 5 lbs savory and 5 lbs sweet, more to come . . . 
    Columbus, OH

• laserdoc85
    laserdoc85 Posts: 577
    edited December 2013
    Im using this amaze little smoker in my bradley. Smokein 10 pounds tomorrow. Temp in the cabinet stays around 90 degrees with the door shut. If I prop it open about a half inch then I can get it to stay at 80. Best to cold smoke a-max 90 or 100. Better if it is 60 to 70. Im putting pans full of ice in my box when I start them tomorrow, Hopefully I can get it to stay around 70 for the 10 hours of smoking.
    The cure takes care of the issue of trying to get an IT of 150. In other words,,,with cure your not concern. Just smoke and then fry them up.
    I use my MAPP torch and have dot had a problem with the pellets going out
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    I put 8 pounds in the cure and intro the fridge last night. This is the first time curing bacon or anything else. I plan to cold smoke with the a-maze-n smoker in 8-10 days. One question.... I cut the belly in half and put it two seperate bags. I then stacked them in a bowl and put in fridge. Is it ok that I layed one bag of belly on top of the other? Fridge space is kinda limited.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    shtgunal3 said:

I put 8 pounds in the cure and intro the fridge last night. This is the first time curing bacon or anything else. I plan to cold smoke with the a-maze-n smoker in 8-10 days.

One question.... I cut the belly in half and put it two seperate bags. I then stacked them in a bowl and put in fridge. Is it ok that I layed one bag of belly on top of the other? Fridge space is kinda limited.

Yep, I would flip them every day or so.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • shtgunal3 said:

I put 8 pounds in the cure and intro the fridge last night. This is the first time curing bacon or anything else. I plan to cold smoke with the a-maze-n smoker in 8-10 days.

One question.... I cut the belly in half and put it two seperate bags. I then stacked them in a bowl and put in fridge. Is it ok that I layed one bag of belly on top of the other? Fridge space is kinda limited.

Stacking is ok but a bowl is not ideal. Stacking flat is better.
  • shtgunal3
    I put 8 pounds in the cure and intro the fridge last night. This is the first time curing bacon or anything else. I plan to cold smoke with the a-maze-n smoker in 8-10 days. One question.... I cut the belly in half and put it two seperate bags. I then stacked them in a bowl and put in fridge. Is it ok that I layed one bag of belly on top of the other? Fridge space is kinda limited.

It's in a flat lasagna dish. I guess it's not really a bowl. It is laying flat. Thanks Cen-Tex and DMW

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• DMW
    shtgunal3 said:

shtgunal3 said:

It's in a flat lasagna dish. I guess it's not really a bowl. It is laying flat.

Thanks Cen-Tex and DMW

You might want to figure out how you will arrange them when its done curing. You will need to rinse them and them set them in the fridge to form a pellicle. For this phase you can't stack them, you want airflow all around. I put mine on drying rack in sheet pans. I also put a small fan in the fridge to make sure I got good circulation, but that's optional.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • shtgunal3
    Hopefully by then we will have some of the stuff in the fridge ate up. I do have two drying racks. Thanks for the idea. After rinsing all the cure off, do you let dry overnight?

• DMW
    shtgunal3 said:

Hopefully by then we will have some of the stuff in the fridge ate up. I do have two drying racks. Thanks for the idea. After rinsing all the cure off, do you let dry overnight?

Let it dry 24 hours.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• DMW
    Oh, and have some baking soda to put in the fridge after done drying...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• shtgunal3
    Thanks

• I don't let them dry. I go straight from the bag to the smoke. Don't have room to dry 10 lbs at a time. I cold smoke so the pellicle forms in the egg.
  • shtgunal3
    I am going to cold smoke too. So out of the cure, rinse well with cold water,pat dry and cold smoke. Fill the a maze n smoker all the way up and let her go till it burns all the way out. Does this sound right Cen-Tex? I have oak, hickory, maple, and cherry pellets. I was thinking about a hickory and cherry mix. What do ya think?

• shtgunal3 said:
    I am going to cold smoke too. So out of the cure, rinse well with cold water,pat dry and cold smoke. Fill the a maze n smoker all the way up and let her go till it burns all the way out. Does this sound right Cen-Tex? I have oak, hickory, maple, and cherry pellets. I was thinking about a hickory and cherry mix. What do ya think?
    Yep sure does.
     I have about 5 more hours of burn time. Notice the pan of frozen ice, This keeps the temp down by about 20 degrees. If I could get in the 60's that would be great but this works. The A-maze does put out heat but not much. With out the ice it will run about 95 to 100 unless I crack the door.
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Is there are rule of thumb concerning how long to cold smoke the cured bacon?

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.