Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mustard sauced chicken

Decided to brave the cold and fire up the egg this evening

Mickey's coffee rub on skinless leg quarters. I've been using this stuff on everything recently. 

350°F raised indirect x 20mins then flipped. Another 15mins, then sauced with Carolina Treet, and let it go for another 5mins. Sauced once more before pulling at IT 180°F.

Plated with broccoli and shrooms that SWMBO cooked indoors. 

Chicken was a hit. Chicken on the egg keeps turning out more grilled than smoked, and I was missing the smoked chicken I used to make on my drum smoker. Tonight's chicken was like the smoked chicken I used to make on the drum - smoky, moist, very flavorful. Used 2 chunks of cherry for smoke. The Carolina Treet sauce is more of a cooking sauce than a dipping sauce, since its too tangy for my tastes to dip. But brushed on the chicken during the cook, it tasted terrific with the coffee rub. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    Mmmmmm....    =P~
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Looking great from here. !!!

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Looks awesome!  What was it that made it more like "smoked chicken" this time.  More wood?  Skinless? Both?

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    @SmokeyPitt - I wish I knew. This was the first time I made chicken on the egg with a water pan underneath, so maybe that's what did it. I haven't cooked chicken with the skin on in 2 years or so, and its been good, but not great. I think the indirect heat and the water pan also kept the "bark" from getting tough. I didn't use much wood - 2 small chunks of cherry.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    caliking said:
    @SmokeyPitt - I wish I knew. This was the first time I made chicken on the egg with a water pan underneath, so maybe that's what did it. I haven't cooked chicken with the skin on in 2 years or so, and its been good, but not great. I think the indirect heat and the water pan also kept the "bark" from getting tough. I didn't use much wood - 2 small chunks of cherry.
    Well, whatever you did it looks great!  The only thing that might improve it is some nice fatty chicken skin :P

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• from my point of view it looks eatable 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I actually prefer skinless chicken now - always bugged me that the rub/seasoning/sauce stayed on the skin and didn't get into the meat like it does with tandoori chicken (which is traditionally done skinless).