Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

German Smoked Pork Kassler Recipe/Wood Chips on Tray on Coals

Options
Having lived in Berlin during the years the wall was up, I came to love "Kassler" and someone I believe on this forum recommended this recipe to me:

I haven't tried it yet but in reading it, the author suggests putting a metal tray on top of the coals with your wet wood chips or chunks on it, I wondered has anyone else used that method for smoking meat and been successful.

Also anyone in Canada especially the GTA no where I can get some pink curing salt, I though Rob Ford might hook me up but he seems rather busy these days.

Cheers

Stoater.

Comments

• HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    I don't think you need the tray with the Egg - chunks of wood throughout the lump will work.
    If you can rely on the mail there's a place in Detroit that carries all kinds of stuff for curing and so on.
    Butcher and Packer Supply Company,
    1468 Gratiot, Detroit MI.48207
    800- 521 3188
    They carry lots of interesting sausage mixes too.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    Canadian Butcher Supply
    Street: 21839 Highbury North
    London, on N5V1A1-
    Phone: (519) 451-6646

I bought wooden skewers made from oak a few years back they treated me well even though it was a relatively small sale for them.

Gerhard
  • Givengold3
    Options
    Also, no need to soak the chips.  To keep the smoke up and not burn the wood too quickly, you can make a foil pouch to wrap your chips, then poke holes or cut slits in the pouch.  Makes a great smoke generator.  I tried it with cherry pellets the first time.
    Concord, CA
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    I bought some from a spice place in Burlington. It was close to the ikea store. If your headed that way I can find the name for you?
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • Stoater
    Stoater Posts: 292
    Options
    Thanks for the info guys, and if you don't mind @GlennM that would be great, I am about 20 mins from burlington.
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    Malbar sure cure is the product. Address is 455 Enfield Rd in Burlington. 905-632-8119. Better call first, they are a wholesaler and only open to the public at certain times. 1/2 KG will last you a long time!
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • Retired RailRoader
    Options
    I make Pork Kassler a few times a year. Here is a link to a post that I put up awhile ago. If you need any further information please let me know. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/827243/kassler-rippchen-on-valentine-s-day
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • Retired RailRoader
    Options
    Sorry I just realized the recipe was not in that post. Here is the procedure I used for the Kassler. Ribmeister, I made Kassler Rippchen this weekend for the first time and it came out delicious. My wife and I usually but it from Forest Pork Store or Karl Ehmer (both on Long Island) but I wanted to try making it. After a long and I mean long search I finally came upon this recipe and like I said it was great. I used a boneless center cut Pork loin rather then the usual bone-in loin. Please let me know if you make it and how you like it. Kassler Rippchen German Smoked Pork, "Kasseler", is a salt-cured pork loin or pork chop which is smoked with beech wood or alder. Germans use "Kasseler" as a tasty addition to kale and cabbage recipes, or bake it like American ham. Most people buy "Kasseler" ready to cook, but it is difficult to find in the US. The smoke imparts much of the flavor in the meat - Germans most often use alder, while the US cuisine calls for maple or hickory smoke. This recipe, calls for a 48 hour, wet cure followed by a hot smoke of just a couple of hours, resulting in fully cooked meat. Prep Time: 72 hours, 0 minute Cook Time: 3 hours, 0 minute Ingredients: * ***Brine*** * 4 liters (1 gallon) water * 350 grams kosher salt * 225 grams sugar * 42 grams pink salt1 * Fresh or dried sage leaves * 1 tsp. dried thyme * 1 T. juniper berries * 1 tsp. coriander * Garlic cloves (optional) * ***Meat*** * 1 pork loin without back ribs, 4 - 5 pounds * ***Equipment*** * Alder or beech wood chips * Smoker or grill * Charcoal * Meat thermometer Preparation: Stir together the ingredients for the brine and heat to a simmer to dissolve all the salt and sugar. Refrigerate until completely cold. Prepare the loin by removing all but a thin layer of fat. I recommend a loin, not a rib roast (back ribs attached - common in commercial "Kasseler") for home processing. Place the loin in the brine and weight it down with a plate or other object to keep it submerged. Refrigerate for 48 hours. Remove the loin from the brine. Discard brine. Wash off the pork with cold water and pat dry. You may dry it in the refrigerator for up to a day (do not cover with any wrap). Prepare your smoker: Start your charcoal fire in the bottom of the smoker an hour before you want to smoke the meat. Soak 2 cups (or so) of wood chips2 (preferably alder for this project) in some water. Place your smoking tray (or aluminum foil tray) on top of the charcoal and add 1/2 cup wet wood chips. Place the grill about a foot above that. Place the meat on the grill, cover and smoke 2 - 3 hours, until the internal temperature is 150°F or above. Add more wet chips as needed to keep the smoke up. You may choose to roast the brined meat instead, or if you are having trouble with the smoker just bring it inside and finish the cooking process in the oven. Heat the oven to 450°F and cook the meat for 10 minutes. Lower the temperature to 250°F and roast the meat for 2 - 3 hours, until the internal temperature reaches 150°F. Eat warm or cut and wrap. Refrigerate to 4 days or freeze for 2-3 months.
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • Stoater
    Stoater Posts: 292
    Options
    Thanks Guys @GlennM and @Retired RailRoader, I will let you know how my cook goes once I pick up some curing salt.  I think you posted the same recipe as is in the link I posted in the main body of my question, but that's great just confirms that it must be a good one, your right though it was hard to find.