Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Small long cook problem.

Options
I have had my small bge for a while now and so far so good. I don't use a gasket and it seems to still cook fine with no problem. I can shut it down and still have charcoal left for the next cook etc.

The problem I am having is long cooks. Cooking brisket or pork when it can take well over 12+ hours I find myself having to completely refill my egg at least once maybe 2 times. I usually cook around 220-275 and it stays at that temp just about perfect. I understand it is much smaller then the Large or XL and just can't get a ton of lump in there. I have tried Cowboy, Weekend warrior, Royal Oak and all the same. 

I take it this is just how it is? I am looking to see if others have to do what I do with the small?

Comments

• jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    Options
    I haven't tried an all nighter on my small yet, but I was just thinking about trying. I usually use RO lump, so I am curious as well!
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

• Scottborasjr
    Options
    I've never done more then 6-7 hours on the small. With that being said how full are you filling your fire box?  You can almost go all the way to the base of indirect piece and be fine. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Probably won't hold enough lump for that long. ..try a turbo cook
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    The small will go 12 hours at 250 easily. Have you calibrated your thermometer? Do you fill it all the way to the bottom of the plate setter?
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

One thing I have noticed is the lump I use, WW, is very dense and heavy.

That said, I tend to get a longer cook from it than RO. Providing the volume or level in the egg is about the same.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    I make pork butts in my small all the time. I run it 275° for the first hour then 350° till it's done. I don't lift the dome until it hits 190°. It usually takes 7-9 hours and I've liked the last couple of butts on my smaller better than ones on my large. 

A brisket is on my to-do list, but has not been checked off, yet.

I use Ozark Oak exclusively but can get 10 hours low and slow or cook 6-7 pizzas around 450 pizza stone temp. I do use the high-que fire grate which helps with airflow at low and high temps. 

If you are trying to make your BGE efficient as possible, it may be time to put a gasket back on. I had part of my gasket come off on my large and ran it for a couple months without part of it. But after I put a new high-temp one back on I was shocked how much charcoal I was actually using without a gasket. 

Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    I cook them on my Small at 300-350. Never have a problem.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC