Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous Vide question

Options
I've read the posts on here about short ribs.  Was thinking of going 137 for about 52 hours.  I know some of you have gone 60 or more but wondering if I'll lose anything with a bit less.  If so, should I bump up the temp?  I'd really like these for dinner Saturday but could live with pizzas on the Egg and have short ribs sunday if I must.
XLBGE- Napa, CA by way of ATX

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    You are fine. Maybe even better.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • hoofaloos
    Options
    Any recommendation on sear? I love my egg but i seem to get better color and control (as not to overcook) with a CI pan super high heat.  

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,958
    edited December 2013
    Options
    I prefer CI. lowered CI grid in your egg is good too. I've done both and they are posted on here somewhere.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Gezr
    Gezr Posts: 154
    Options
    " Was thinking of going 137 for about 52 hours.  I know some of you have gone 60 or more but wondering if I'll lose anything with a bit less.  If so, should I bump up the temp? "

Sous vide is different from a regular oven; the temperature determines the degree of doneness (rare, medium, etc.), time determines the degree of tenderness. You cannot trade off one for the other. I've done them two different times for 72 hours and they were so good I've not been tempted to shorten the time so let us know the result...might save me 20 hours!
    Be sure to use the juices in the bag after the cook for a sauce as it is loaded with flavor.
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.

Afton, VA
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    I did some for 72 hours and they smelled real bad when they came out of the bag, I had to throw them out!
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I have done skirt steaks for 72 hours and they were great. I could tell the difference versus others at 48 hours. I do 132 degrees that's still higher than I would normally cook to on the egg and over the 130 safe point. I always sear on the mini it works really well.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Are you going to season the ribs before or after the bath? Asking since I'm new to SV myself.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • hoofaloos
    Options
    caliking said:
    Are you going to season the ribs before or after the bath? Asking since I'm new to SV myself.

Seasoned before with and S&P and will season after with same before CI sear.  Going to put the pan under the broiler for 30+ minutes to get it as hot as I can.  I'd go on the egg but i'm opposed to the whole egg startup process for 3 minutes of sear time.  

Also, I've decided to go the full 72 on this cook as I really started Jonesing for some pizzas tomorrow