Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baked potato soup

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited December 2013
    That is too funny. I made ham and scalloped potatoes on Sunday and another FAIL on the scalloped potatoes. Taste was great but too much liquid. I am planning to put the leftovers in the blendtec tonight with some homemade chicken stock. Made pea soup with the ham bone yesterday but the freakin dog counter surfed the six pounds of leftover ham.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I forgot to add I dont peel the potatoes I leave a little under done (runny) so when frozen and reheated it can be thickened up while heating.
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    I can tell just by reading the recipe that it's a winner.  Printed it out, I will be making it!
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • henapple
    Buttah, bacon, sour cream, cheese.. Oh yeah
  • Wow, thanks henapple! This finally pushed me to create an account here so that I could thank you. It is really awesome to see someone link to one of my recipes here when I've been a regular visitor to the forum ever since we got our XL BGE a few years ago!

Side note: our BGE has been pictured in several of our recipes, and we even used it to cook the turkey last year for Thanksgiving. I had found a lot of the tips about cooking it from this forum. :)
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Will definitely try this! Welcome to the Madness CCC
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Oh, this is so awesome. A female egger who is a techie! I love reversed gender roles! (Yes, I'm a male nurse and my wife is in law enforcement)

Welcome @CenterCutCook!
  • Wow, thanks henapple! This finally pushed me to create an account here so that I could thank you. It is really awesome to see someone link to one of my recipes here when I've been a regular visitor to the forum ever since
    Welcome CCC

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• henapple
    @CenterCutCook...the soup is unbelievable. Simple to cook but fun. I did do something different.. I baked my potatoes on the bottom rack with the bacon on the top rack... Potato soaked in bacon. It's been a big hit, finished it up tonight with a little cornbread.

Welcome... Love to have you get involved.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Tony - what is this soup you speak of?? I can't see it... cleaned my glasses too :D

And welcome aboard @CenterCutCook!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Thanks for the welcome guys! We still have SO much to learn about cooking with the egg. We tend to stick to the basics - burgers, steaks, ribs (the best!!) and use it most for entertaining. Slowly but surely we're convincing our friends and family to take the plunge and invest in a BGE too. My father in law just bought one over the summer - it took a little convincing but he loves it! 

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    henapple said:
    Buttah, bacon, sour cream, cheese.. Oh yeah

I am in, bro

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    edited December 2013
    I've been looking for a new potato soup recipe to try and this sounds great. It is simmering away right now, thanks for posting! Welcome @CenterCutCook I just glanced at your other posts and this will be the first of many recipes of yours I try, =P~
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • just wait until you make it with big thick cubes of home cured bacon.......................Nothing better

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • just wait until you make it with big thick cubes of home cured bacon.......................Nothing better

Dude, I posted on another thread. I can't find my copy of charcouterie. I picked up a couple of bellies today and have a good idea on the flavours I want but I don't remember if you take the skin off. Help out a fellow North American will ya?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• henapple
    North America is Maine....I'm not sure where you are?
  • I did do that scalloped potato soup the other day. Wasn't bad but too much cheese (that's like saying too much bacon I know) but it wasn't wonderful.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Well, Canada considers the US "North Mexico", so there's that.
  • henapple
    I'd back off the cheese also...people can add more if they want to.
  • henapple

Well, Canada considers the US "North Mexico", so there's that.

As I travel I'd have to agree with you
  • henapple said:
    North America is Maine....I'm not sure where you are?
    Southwest of Maine

Steve 

Caledon, ON

Dude, I posted on another thread. I can't find my copy of charcouterie. I picked up a couple of bellies today and have a good idea on the flavours I want but I don't remember if you take the skin off. Help out a fellow North American will ya?
    I take it off after the smoke. Do you need the cure recipe? I posted it a week ago or so. I can dig it up/

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • henapple, that looks devine...thanks for the post and the link.  That just shot to the top of the to cook list.
    @CCC, welcome to the group.   You wrote;"We tend to stick to the basics - burgers, steaks, ribs (the best!!) and use it most for entertaining"... 
    Beside a low and slow cooker, a grill and a pizza oven, the egg is one of the best convection ovens I have ever used/owned.  
    We will be doing the annual Christmas diner, Beef Wellington, on #1 son's Christmas and birthday present...his own large BGE.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • henapple

Thanks for the welcome guys! We still have SO much to learn about cooking with the egg. We tend to stick to the basics - burgers, steaks, ribs (the best!!) and use it most for entertaining. Slowly but surely we're convincing our friends and family to take the plunge and invest in a BGE too. My father in law just bought one over the summer - it took a little convincing but he loves it! 

You should post some of your non egg recipes and we'll try to incorporate the egg...well, we won't try. ..it'll be done.
  • henapple said:
    Thanks for the welcome guys! We still have SO much to learn about cooking with the egg. We tend to stick to the basics - burgers, steaks, ribs (the best!!) and use it most for entertaining. Slowly but surely we're convincing our friends and family to take the plunge and invest in a BGE too. My father in law just bought one over the summer - it took a little convincing but he loves it! 

You should post some of your non egg recipes and we'll try to incorporate the egg...well, we won't try. ..it'll be done.
    And we will have fun and good eats doing the adaption.  
    One of my favorite is to take Cooks Illustrated or Cooks Country recipes and adapt them to the egg, especially since they panned the egg in their review.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    I made the soup tonight and it is bad ass!! We made tortilla bowls and ate the soup out of them. Great recipe.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Alright, I already have everything I need for this recipe so I'm making it today.  Will post pics. @henapple I want to do the bacon over the taters, what time and temp works well?  I assume the potatoes go on first and cook a while?  I've got some thick cut Wright Brand bacon.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • @Centercutcook I just went to your website.  You've got some great stuff there !!!  It's now on my Bookmarks Bar.  Thanks, and welcome !!

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• henapple
    I went around 400, indirect...I just put them on at the same time and pulled the bacon when crisp enough to crumble. If the soup gets to thick just add more milk.
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Would a mix of yellow potatoes and red skin potatoes go alright together in this?  I need to get rid of them.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!