Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2nd Egg Size?

Options
2»

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Options
    I'd say small but if you seriously have the bodies to help with the relocation of the Egg every time don't discount a Medium. It's become my every day Egg and I can move it myself within reason. I have a Small, Medium and Large and the Medium is used 3 times a week. The small is great to travel with, very easy to move if you are in any kind of decent physical condition.  If you were consistently cooking for 2-3 I'd say Mini, but since you are cooking for 4 consistently I'd go at least a Small. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • rcone
    rcone Posts: 219
    Options
    Small
    "Feed me, or feed me to something; I just want to be part of the food chain" Al Bundy

LBGE, SBGE, Carson Rotisserie, Blackstone Griddle  

Milwaukee, Wisconsin 
  • RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    Options
    I started out with a large, followed up with a small, then replaced the small with another large.  I'm really happy with two larges - I haven't used the small in a year or so.

Go big of go home!

Michael
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    edited December 2013
    Options
    I love the small / large combo and travel with my small all the time. One of my favorite eggcessories is the CGW Small Two-Tier it adds so much room. Now I can make the sides on the egg at the same time. I used to only find quick things I could make while the meat was resting. I do pork butts while traveling all the time and it is always a great way to feed a crowd. Small Egg goes to the lake Using both eggs at the same time is also great, I like searing on the small and finishing everything on the large. Like I did here A tribute to my ELF, Henapple! The small is also great for wok cooking. Wok goes mobile @RAC has a nice table to use with the small, New Family Member it is on my list but since I didn't travel as much this summer I haven't gotten one yet. I've got lots more discussions from others that helped sell me on the small if you want more info. 

No matter what size you go with you will like having two eggs. 

Edit: I also recommend getting a High-Que to help with airflow in the small egg. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I have a small and a mini to compliment my XL. The mini performs better, but the small has more real estate. I bought a two tier swing rack from CGW for the small and LOVE the extra room. To feed the people you feed, I would consider the small.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    edited December 2013
    Options
    RGBHV said:
    I started out with a large, followed up with a small, then replaced the small with another large.  I'm really happy with two larges - I haven't used the small in a year or so.

Go big of go home!

Michael
    Hey Michael. long time no see, I also replaced my Small with a second Large. However, these days I use my XL more than the two Larges combined.  Go big or go home indeed!
    canuckland
  • ShadowNick
    Options
    Medium...  Its the redheaded step-child of the Egg world, doesn't get the love it deserves. With some creativity I've fit 20# of butt on it and think I've topped out at 6 racks of ribs with some juggling, but at the same time, doing cooks for 1 or 2 people feels completely reasonable on it.  The thing is a workhorse, and just light enough I can load it in my car myself if I pull out the guts first, easy fully loaded with two people.
    Pentwater, MI