Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

finally a brisket...2 inches of rain

Options
Anyone have an idea for a homemade rain cap? I usually don't need one but I'm going all night with my brisket and they're calling for massive rain. I can probably position the table away from the rain but want to be ready. I'm going low and slow...225 with my new digiq so there wont be much of an opening. Might just roll without it. I might have to crash in the man cave...Woodford, good cigar, ESPN...oh the horror.

Also...I have two meatloafs and hopefully some eatable brisket to food-saver. How should they be reheated so it won't dry out?

Thanks
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    How about wind? You could make a "lampshade" out of AF and 2 metal clothes hangers. Stretch the hangers out and have the hook portion rest on the egg itself. Cross the hangers to create the 3D "lamp harp" and drape the AF over it.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Have seen people post pics of aluminum foil molded before. If amazon had the drone delivery up and running you could just order one of the stainless ones and have it in 30 minutes.
  • Texansurf
    Options
    I cook in the rain all the time. I just set up a picnic umbrella over the egg when it's raining. It actually is safer if it is raining as the water will reduce the likely hood of scorching the material. If you do that you need to lift it up high enough to be safe. In the food saver, just put in hot water, I don't cut open the bag until I'm ready to serve. the Bag will expand with as it heats up.
    Corpus Christi, Texas.  LBGE x 2, Weber Smoky Joe, and Aussie Walk-About
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Coffee can with holes drlled in the side near the top. 

Just to clarify...coffee can goes upside down over the daisy. Holes near the top when upside down,,,the sealed end. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Go to HD/Lowes and look in the aisle where they have the vent pipes or whatever they are called. You'll find a cap gizmo that looks similar to the smokeware ss cap. About $5 maybe. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • JerkChicken
    Options
    This is what I use. Free out of Aluminum Foil and a coat hanger. Just shape one side of the hanger the diameter of your egg chimney, and form the other side into a similar circle for the tent structure. Shape the foil over the top. Viola

I've been using my original creation for 2 years now and I live in FL where it rains every other day.
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    I cut holes in the sides of a metal coffee can. Fits perfect over the Large vent.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    Options
    I know it's pretty ghetto but I have done this.image
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    @henapple, I bet a home depot roof vent can go right over your existing daisy.  At low and slow, the daisy will be mostly closed, so this should fit right over it..

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    I put much thought into mine..  :-B
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    @Solson005 - excellent. Where have you been?

Over the past two or three years I've only seen one BGE table that had holes in it for a patio umbrella, always wondered why every table used in the weather did not have a place to drop in an umbrella. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    @Skiddymarker I've been working too much the past couple months, still egging but haven't had much time to make new posts. Glad the holidays are here so I can slow down and spend more time with family and friends. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Charlesmaneri
    Options
    as far as your DigiQ I put mine in a large zip lock bag to protect it from the rain other then that I think you will be fine just like it is the DFMT is hot enough to steam off the water  so I don't think you will have a problem 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    @Solson005 - excellent. Where have you been?

Over the past two or three years I've only seen one BGE table that had holes in it for a patio umbrella, always wondered why every table used in the weather did not have a place to drop in an umbrella. 
    It's easy to add an umbrella holder.  I did it with two u-bolts from Home depot and saber sawed a cutout in the top.  The base pole stays there, even fits under the BGE table cover.  Always ready for action.imageimage
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Charlesmaneri
    Charlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Cookinbob thats a good idea but if their is wind it could make a big problem  if the wind gets a hold of the umbrella it is possible  that it could turn over the whole table and now you have a broken egg and thats no good
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    Cookinbob thats a good idea but if their is wind it could make a big problem  if the wind gets a hold of the umbrella it is possible  that it could turn over the whole table and now you have a broken egg and thats no good
    You got that right.  If it is really windy, I will not put the umbrella up, ditto for the one on my patio table.  With that said, the Egg and table together weigh about 350 lbs., and the umbrella is securely fastened.  I think it is more likely that the umbrella gets wrecked, but I don't take that chance.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • caliking
    Options

Man, just think what we could achieve if we all used our super powers for good! Some brilliant ideas on here.

@Cookinbob - i doubt your table or xl egg will go anywhere if your umbrella is up in a bit of wind. Your umbrella is more likely to break or be picked up and blown away by the wind before it topples your table.

@Solson005 - welcome back! Get back to cookin' and show us how its done. :)

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Lowe's... $10
  • SmokeyPitt
    Options
    henapple said:
    Lowe's... $10
    No fair...you said homemade rain cap.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• caliking
    Options
    Yep, that's the one I was talking about. Sorry, I was a bit off on the price.

• henapple
    Options

u
    henapple said:

Lowe's... $10

I made it home with it...
  • SmokeyPitt
    Options
    henapple said:
    u
    henapple said:
    Lowe's... $10
    lols broski.  You should have just told us you climbed up on the roof and took it off your house.  That would be really home made.  

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    henapple said:
    u
    henapple said:
    Lowe's... $10
    lols broski.  You should have just told us you climbed up on the roof and took it off your house.  That would be really home made.  
    Also much more in line with this forum's sensibilities.
  • henapple
    Options
    Ouch
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    Made these with a few parts from the hardware store.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE