Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

CHOPS again (boring, I know)

Well we had quite the week here with a wicked blizzard that hit most of the province. Temperature stayed up at the beggining so we had freezing rain to start it off, then a nice layer of snow over top of that. Was quite the mess on all highways. Snow has now stopped but we are looking at -40C (that is -40F as well..) temperatures this week with the windchill. Did some thick 1 1/4" chops last night, I did them with the plate setter on this time, they turned out realy moist, probably some of the best yet. Pulled at 145 - 150, let rest in warming tray for 15 min. Really need to get back into egging something differant when I get some time.

Hope everyone is having a good week!

imageimageimageimage
County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada

Comments

• Nice Chops never boring I just love PORK!!!!!
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • They look really good. I cook all raw pork except tenderloins at 250* and do an end sear. Usually indirect. Enjoy your 40 below (isn't there a song?). We are going to +12 tomorrow believe it or not.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,318
    Ah, the Rodeo song-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap said:
    Ah, the Rodeo song-
    I thought that was just a Canuck thing Lou.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,318
    Naw-I think it has a world-wide cold weather following but I'm guessing here!  Although, I swear I first heard the song in the early 70's in waaay northeast upstate NY (about a mile from the GWN) but the internet doesn't have history back that far.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • I think the band that did it was from Alberta if I remember correctly.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I think it was released early 80's. Could be wrong. Have not heard it in awhile actually. Im sure I will hear my kids singing it one of these days...
  • Aquacop
    Aquacop Posts: 481
    Nothing better than pig with bad byrons, nice cook
    LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    edited December 2013
    lousubcap said:
    Ah, the Rodeo song-
    Thank you for ruining my evening, dayam I hated that song!  It came out ~1981 or so, when I was still playing in country bands.  (typical bar napkin passed to the stage:  "Do Pis me off fucken jurks")  :-L

Alberta, on another thread they're discussing boiling down balsamic vinegar (the cheep, artificial stuff) to a syrup; brush that on your chops sometime.  Elixir!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    Good looking chops.  And yes I looked up the -40F = -40C thing.  (Thanks for that wormhole.)  I experienced zero degrees and very windy in Boston a few years back and it was the coldest I have ever been in my life.  I would die in -40 C/F. 

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    lakewade said:

Good looking chops.  And yes I looked up the -40F = -40C thing.  (Thanks for that wormhole.)  I experienced zero degrees and very windy in Boston a few years back and it was the coldest I have ever been in my life.  I would die in -40 C/F. 

Most people will after after a few hours. ;)
  • lakewade
    Most people will after after a few hours. ;)
    So true!  But I meant I would instantly die.

-----------
  • You would get used to it. Its the big swing in temp that just takes a bit to get used to. I'm good now for the winter.
  • Botch said:

lousubcap said:

Ah, the Rodeo song-

Thank you for ruining my evening, dayam I hated that song!  It came out ~1981 or so, when I was still playing in country bands.  (typical bar napkin passed to the stage:  "Do Pis me off fucken jurks")  :-L

Alberta, on another thread they're discussing boiling down balsamic vinegar (the cheep, artificial stuff) to a syrup; brush that on your chops sometime.  Elixir!  

I'll have to look for that one. Thanks!
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    edited December 2013
    lakewade said:
    I experienced zero degrees and very windy in Boston a few years back and it was the coldest I have ever been in my life.  I would die in -40 C/F. 
    The old cliche is "its not the heat, its the humidity", but that is actually true even at frigid temperatures.  The most miserable winter place I ever lived was actually Dayton, OH; 30-32 F all winter long, damp and foggy, and that cold just saturated your bones, Ugh!  
    I grew up in SD, and spent 3 years in Grand Forks ND, where one winter it never got above -20F for, IIRC, 28 days.  Yes, it was cold but it didn't bother me like Dayton OH did.  It was dry, very dry, and it made all the difference.
    Zero degrees in a humid place like Boston would, again, be pure torture!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• lakewade
    Botch said:
    lakewade said:
    I experienced zero degrees and very windy in Boston a few years back and it was the coldest I have ever been in my life.  I would die in -40 C/F. 
    The old cliche is "its not the heat, its the humidity", but that is actually true even at frigid temperatures.  The most miserable winter place I ever lived was actually Dayton, OH; 30-32 F all winter long, damp and foggy, and that cold just saturated your bones, Ugh!  
    I grew up in SD, and spent 3 years in Grand Forks ND, where one winter it never got above -20F for, IIRC, 28 days.  Yes, it was cold but it didn't bother me like Dayton OH did.  It was dry, very dry, and it made all the difference.
    Zero degrees in a humid place like Boston would, again, be pure torture!  
    That makes sense. I don't see how you guys up North do it.  Of course we can get 80+ days of 100 degrees of hotter a year down here, but you love it or leave either way I suppose.  I think we got to 112 last year (may have been the year before), and no, it's not a dry heat either.  Stay warm up there.

-----------
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    I could never like somewhere that warm. There's no ice fishing!
    NW IOWA
  • Hottest we usually see is +94 F or so, coldest is the -40, can get more both ways the odd time. Quite the swing, like I said, it just takes a few weeks to get into the seasons. All that matters is your drink stays fresh, and bbqing happens anytime of year. Love it or leave it is right. I do get tired of winters. But campfires and bbq'n keeps things relaxed. Can't stand staying inside for to long. Trying to decide on what to cook Friday now. Have some family coming out. Maybe some thick T-bones.
  • We had a lot of snow before the ice had a good chance to freeze this year. Rivers are still half open as well. Might be awhile till I venture out for some ice fishing, but I can't wait till I do!
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Your not out yet in Canada? I've been out four times already and I'm in Iowa! A good five inches!
    NW IOWA
  • Have not had the chance, or chance to check. Like I said, we had a lot of snow, good insulation for the ice. And mild temps till this week. Will probably be some fllod water as well. I'm sure will be out to check soon.
  • What temp did you cook it at with the place setter
  • Started hot, 400, that was not intended. Cooked them at 270-300 pretty much.