Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

MY FIRST BRISKET WAS DISAPPOINTING

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can anyone offer some advice on controlling teps below 300? I have no problems with 300 or above but below 300 iy really gets away from me.

Comments

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    PETE,
    If you can control temps at 300° and above just do less to control temps below 300°.[p]I know that sounds kind of stupid, but it really is that simple. Close the draft door more and close off more of the top.[p]When I am doing something in the 200-250° range I have the bottom door barely open (and sometimes just closed depending on air leaks and temp) and the daisy wheel is closed with only a little bit of the inner holes open. [p]You just have to approach your target temp slowly.

• Bobby-Q,
    Thanks! I think one of my problems is I let it get above my target temp and then try to lower the temp could this be part of my problem? Have you ever used a BBQ GURU?

• drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    PETE,[p]Are you using a plate setter?
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • PETE,
    This is how I prepare for an indirect setup for a low and slow cook. I open the bottom vent wide and remove the dual metal top. I place a small amount of coals covering the grate and place 2 chunks of smoking wood in the center. Then I use and electric fire starter or 1 small sqaure fire starter. I allow that to burn until the lump is bright red then I cover it with enough coals and desired smoking woods to the top of the firering. Then close the lid and watch the temp rise slowly. As I am approaching my desired temp I start to close down the vents and adjust the top. I have found that appox. 220- 250 is about small credit card opening on the bottom and a pinkie with at the metal top. Also I place one placesetter leg towards the back of the BGE. I let the BGE stablize at the desired temp for at least 20 min before cooking.... Daddy Pat

• drbbq,[p]No. I have one on order and can't wait for it to get here!
  • Daddy Pat,
    Thanks! I will try that.

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    PETE,
    You fire is too high before your start. Once you fire reaches 200, you need to do 2 things next. 1 is to close the bottom door to a 32nd of an inch, 2 is to close the top vent wheel the same. The large Egg will curise to 250. Once this temp is held for 20-30 minutes, then put the food on. Never put food on till your tems are stable for at least 15 minutes. Everytime you opne the door the temp wil drop as much as 100 degrees, but it will rebound. I have done overnight cooks and the temp never gone abouve 250. Its kinda like the oven in the house, you dont set it for 350 when you need it at 250.

• drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Pete,[p]That should change things for you.
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • tach18k,[p]Thanks! I can't wait for the weekend so I can give it a try.

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Pete,
    It can take a pretty good amount of time to get the temp down depending on how high it went. You're always better to approach it slowly rather than wait for it to cool back down.[p]I do have a guru, but I learned how to control the temps before the Guru was even a twinkle in Shotgun Fred's eye...ok that may not be true, I have no idea how long that twinkle has been in Fred's eye.

• Bobby-Q,[p]Would you reccomend the guru?
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    PETE,
    As others said. Approach your temp slowly and let the egg sit at the desired temp for a while to stabilize. She will hold fast around 225*, lower temps take more adjusting and attention.
    Brisket is a tough cut to cook. Once you get a plate setter, things will be much easier.

Apollo Beach, FL
  • PETE,
    Here's a link to my page on temperature control:[p]TNW

[ul][li]Temperature Control[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz