Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time Home cured bacon...

Options
jtippers
jtippers Posts: 512
edited December 2013 in EggHead Forum
Its been curing for a week. Just threw it in the egg. Plan to hot smoke it at 250 until IT is 150... 

We are having bacon for dinner at my house!

EDIT: Just noticed... I put 250. I'm actually smoking at 200.
SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Nice, let me know how you like it hot smoked. I cold smoked mine and it turned out really good.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • jtippers
    Options
    I will... I was planning to cold smoke it, then I read this article from Meathead and I got worried about botulism. I wasn't sure if it applied to bacon or not. I figured better safe than sorry. In Charcuterie, the author recommends hot smoking. We'll see how it goes!

• Charlesmaneri
    Options
    jtippers aren't you afraid that you will lose all the fat with a hot smoke because remember PORK FAT RULES !!!!
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • jtippers
    Options
    Charlesmaneri - Charcuterie hasn't led me wrong yet. Everything I have prepared from that book has been great! That being said, this is my first attempt... We'll see.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    It won't render the fat. it only cooks for a few hours to get to 150 when you hot smoke. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Conneggticut_Yankee
    Options
    Hey, just noticed this. Got a couple slabs going over here as well! I've smoked I'd guess 6 or 7 batches of bacon since I've gotten the Egg and have always done it hot. It's always great. However, I'm asking Santa for an a-maze-in smoker. I'd like to try some cold smoking as well. 

Madison, CT
    LBGE June 2013. 

• jtippers
    Options
    Conneggticut_Yankee - Looks great! You will love the A-Maze-N smoker. I cold smoked some almonds with it last week and we can't quit eating them!

• SoCal_Griller
    Options
    I've done it both ways and both are good.  I like the texture of cold smoked better.  I have a batch on day 4 of the cure, plane on smoking this weekend.  Enjoy!  Nothing like home made bacon....
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
    edited December 2013
    Options
    I've done it both ways and both are good.  I like the texture of cold smoked better.  I have a batch on day 4 of the cure, plane on smoking this weekend.  Enjoy!  Nothing like home made bacon....
    I fell exactly the same way. They are both freaking awesome but cold smoked leaves you with the texture of raw bacon- liek you woul dbuy at the store or the butcher. The hot smoked is cooked so it's firm. Still freaking awesome though
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    Options
    I just did my first batch of cold . They are both amazing . I can't choose .nor should I have to.
    Toronto
  • Firemanyz
    Options
    Are there any big stores that carry pork belly or is it mostly only sold at butcher shops? I would love to make some but I need to find some belly.
  • Conneggticut_Yankee
    Options
    Not sure where you're from but I had to go to an actual butcher to find mine here in CT central. Not to mention some extensive research to even find a proper shop. It's clearly a regional thing. Most markets had no idea what I was talking about or why I wanted to do what I wanted to do. Even at the butcher's I get people in line asking me what in the world I'm going to be be doing with pig belly. Folks just don't know what they're missing. 
    Madison, CT
    LBGE June 2013. 

• jtippers
    Options
    I actually called every grocery store and meat market in my area... finally found one market that had purchased a case for a special order and had one left over. They were all to happy to sell it to me.

And it turned out great! I didn't take pictures of it sliced because I can't slice straight and it was ugly.... but it was DELICIOUS!