Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does adding wood chunks drop the temperature?

Options
I have been attempting to smoke with pecan chunks. Last night I was roasting a chicken. I was shooting for 375 dome temp. The temperature was 375 with the platesetter and everything but the chicken in the grill. I then threw 1 chunk of pecan wood on top of the coals and shut the lid. The temperature then dropped to around 250 - 300 and just stayed there for the longest time. I would open the vents a whole lot and it just would not raise. The flash ruined the reading on the dome thermometer but it was around 300 in the picture and holding steady. I feel like the vents are really really open for it to be at 300.

I noticed that it quickly went up to 400 once I stopped seeing as much smoke, so I can only assume it has to do with adding wood chunks.

Comments

• Keefer
    Keefer Posts: 120
    Options
    If I am preparing for a long cook - such as ribs or butts - I usually distribute the wood chunks throughout the lump before lighting the fire. For shorter cooks like chicken or steaks, I only put one or two chunks near the starting point of the fire. I think the most important thing is to wait until the temperature has stabilized for a while and the smoke lightens up / smells good before starting the cook.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    How big was the chunk? Did you soak it? I use dry chunks, and add them from the start. When the egg is up to temp, I add the meat.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • MrMista
    Options
    I did not soak it this time. I have done that before and was having the temperature drop. I thought it was due to soaking but I saw the same thing with dry chunks. Maybe I should add it from the start but I only use 1 or 2 chunks, I feel like it would burn up by the time I actually added the food if I had them on the coals from the start.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    When you open the dome the thermo sensor cools off thus the perceived drop in temp. An egg full of burning lump at 375* is not going to cool off by dropping a chunk of wood in. A cold platesetter, a packer brisket or a couple of butts yes. Not wood IMHO

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• JerkChicken
    Options
    When you open the dome the thermo sensor cools off thus the perceived drop in temp. An egg full of burning lump at 375* is not going to cool off by dropping a chunk of wood in. A cold platesetter, a packer brisket or a couple of butts yes. Not wood IMHO
    +1
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • Charlesmaneri
    Options

+1 the only thing adding a chunk of wood will do is start smoke that all 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I suppose if it was a big chunk and you threw it right on the fire, it might have smothered the fire and it took a while for the chunk to ignite.  Just a theory.  FWIW, if I decide to add last minute chunks I like to place them just beside the burning fire (not on). 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Little Steven
    Options
    I suppose if it was a big chunk and you threw it right on the fire, it might have smothered the fire and it took a while for the chunk to ignite.  Just a theory.  FWIW, if I decide to add last minute chunks I like to place them just beside the burning fire (not on). 

Even still, it's like adding wood to an airtight stove.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• MrMista
    Options
    Thanks for the input guys. Maybe I didn't wait long enough for the temperature to stabilize. I am going to try setting it next to the burning fire next time

It was a tiny chunk. I felt like a crazy person asking this question because it seems it seems like there is no possible way it could matter but I had similar results two times in a row.