Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Leg of Lamb help please

Options
Smokin Joe
Smokin Joe Posts: 441
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi Everyone, picked up a 4 lb leg of lamb (no bone) at Sam's yesterday and wanted to cook tonight. Can you offer any suggestions on how to season this bad boy? I'm assuming I'm cooking indirect, but not 100% sure.
Your help is greatly appreciated!!! Thanks Joe

Comments

• Dos Huevos
    Options
    This may be a little different than what you hear from other folks, but here goes:

We marinated ours for the better part of a work day in 2 cups of cabernet, 2 heaping tbsps of minced garlic, 1 cup of soy sauce, and a tablespoon or so of crushed rosemary. You could use regular rosemary, but my wife doesn't like "those stick things," so we use crushed.

Anywho, because it's more or less butterflied to get the bone out, we decided to basically T-rex the thing. We seared both sides based on the thickness of the middle (not one end or the other), then rested on the counter for 20 minutes, and then cooked it direct at 400 (flipping about every 5 minutes) until it hit 140ish. Your finishing temp obviously depends on how you like it, but we're a medium leg of lamb house, so that's where we stopped.

HTH and let us know how it goes, and maybe take a picture for heaven's sake.

Todd
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Smokin Joe,
    I boned and rolled a 7-pound leg yesterday. Seasoned ala QBabe: with a paste of garlic, roasted garlic, rosemary and oregano, oil and lemon juice. The recipe's on her webpage.[p]Ken

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    Smokin Joe,
    Here's another take: Greek style.
    Buttefly the leg so that the thickness is fairly even. Put slivers of garlic in a lot of slits all over the meat. Apply salt and pepper to taste; marinate the meat in lemon juice and olive oil (ratio 1:3) and 2 tbps of oregano for as long as possible. Grill directly (preferably over a raised grid)over a 400 degree lump until internal temp is 130 (med-rare). Have fun._

• Smokin Joe,
    I usaully do just salt and pepper and mesquite smoke/cook at about 350 dome temp. My neighbor said it was the best lamb he has ever had.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    2004_1230Image0013.jpg
    <p />Smokin Joe,
    i trex them. sear directly in the red hot lump, during the rest i coat with balsamic and some spice. then roast (raised grid direct) at 350 for bone out, 325 for bone in til an internal of 123-127 depending on the size of the roast. either butterflied or rolled and tied. the string will burn and i retie after the sear. lamb should be bloody red when served. the direct sear in the coals is something i only do with lamb. it helps to dig a hole the size of the roast so that you only have to flip once.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Smokin Joe
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    Thanks very much. That is the one I remembered reading about. I hope you all made it through the storm safely. Joe

• Smokin Joe
    Options
    Marvin,
    Thanks for your reply! It is very close to Q Babe's. Joe

• Smokin Joe
    Options
    Chris Habgood,
    Thanks Chris! I want to try Q Babe's recipie. Joe

• Smokin Joe
    Options
    fishlessman,
    Thanks for your reply! Unfortuantely my wife doesn't like meat started out in the coal iteslf. I tried that with steaks - cooked them to rare plus (which is the way she likes them cooked) and it didn't go over too well. Personally I thought the steaks came out great - but what do I know... LOL[p]At this point I'll go with Q Babe's recipie. Joe