Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
April showers bring...National BBQ Month! Are you ready for a month full of briskets, pulled pork and chicken wings? We hope so, because it’s almost here! Keep an eye out for some of our favorite BBQ recipes we’ll be sharing with you throughout the month of May.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

A-maze-N-Smoker Tutorial

13»

Comments

• mountaindewbassmountaindewbass Posts: 1,725
    edited November 2013
    Nope, never left. I check in every couple days looking for new ideas.. I comment when I'm interested. So.. Cold smoking... Cook meat first? Danger zone?
    ·
  • doubledouble Posts: 1,214
    Just received 20lbs of Belly from my dealer ready for another round!
    Lynnwood WA
    ·
  • You have a Pork dealer? That is awesome!

·
  • billyraybillyray Posts: 1,120
    What temp are you cold smoking? I would be afraid the meat would be in the danger zone for to long by cold moking. Do you cook the meats first. Educate me please
    Because you cure the meat first, the danger zone is not a problem. If it was fresh then it's a problem.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small and waiting on a mini
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 10,855
    edited November 2013
    billyray said:
    What temp are you cold smoking? I would be afraid the meat would be in the danger zone for to long by cold moking. Do you cook the meats first. Educate me please
    Because you cure the meat first, the danger zone is not a problem. If it was fresh then it's a problem.
    Fresh?

·
  • JohnMcJohnMc Posts: 76
    Where do you place it when using to supplement smoke during a low n slo? Any trouble keeping it burning then?
    ·
  • billybonbillybon Posts: 185
    Nope, never left. I check in every couple days looking for new ideas.. I comment when I'm interested. So.. Cold smoking... Cook meat first? Danger zone?
    Cook meat first? NO

Danger Zone an issue? YES!
    Many authors insist that pink salt is required any time meats are cold smoked. I consider under 90F to be cold smoking but I  I try to smoke under 40F.

In the past, living in south, FL I only smoked meats and cheeses on the occasional cold winter day. However, we don't get many of those. Out of that frustration, I devised a system of cold smoking that allows for extended smokes at around 40F. In a few days I will start a  discussion on the topic (after I get some pictures taken). 
    ·
  • billyraybillyray Posts: 1,120
    Two ways to keep heat to a minimum. 1st pic has the a-maze-n smoker in the small and bacon in the large. 2nd pic the smoker is in the large and bacon is in the master built.
    smoke.jpg 66.6K
    smoke1.jpg 144.9K
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small and waiting on a mini
    ·
  • Sweet. Thanks for the clarification..I should look into curing. I link to make my own jerkey so I have been dabbing in the idea of cold smoke
    ·
  • doubledouble Posts: 1,214
    You have a Pork dealer? That is awesome!
    Yep my buddy that owns a restaurant, which I promise to take you to when you come to Seattle gets it for me direct from the farm, he is awesome picks out the farmer based on what I want to do with the meat.
    Lynnwood WA
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,727
    double said:
    Yep my buddy that owns a restaurant, which I promise to take you to when you come to Seattle gets it for me direct from the farm, he is awesome picks out the farmer based on what I want to do with the meat.
    Yep that sounds like a pork dealer alright.  You lucky sumbitch. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • double said:

You have a Pork dealer? That is awesome!

I'm in Seattle December 9th and 11th (Bellingham on 10th). . I have a dinner On The 10th but free on the 12th. .......you promised :D. It is unwise to threaten Centex with a good time. He will often take you up on it.

·
  • Great tutorial @The Cen-Tex Smoker Thanks!

For cold smoking cheese do you put the platesetter in or since there is not much heat there is no need for it?
    ·
  • Great tutorial @The Cen-Tex Smoker Thanks!

For cold smoking cheese do you put the platesetter in or since there is not much heat there is no need for it?
    I haven't done cheese yet. just bacon. I use my AR with stone though just to protect it from any radiant heat from the smoldering pellets. i would definitely use it should I decide to smoke cheese.

·
  • LuvfltLuvflt Posts: 63
    Not an expert here but I was told cold smoking temps shouldn't go above 90 degrees. Your food either has to be cured first brine etc. Those doing bacon for example may do it for 10-12 hours but it has been cured first. Things like nuts and cheese aren't an issue for the 3 hours or so to do a cold smoke.
    Palm City, FL
    ·
  • Dumb question, but it your bottom vent open all the way as well as the top?
    ·
  • Dumb question, but it your bottom vent open all the way as well as the top?
    yes (and not a dumb question)

·
  • Thanks much!
    ·
  • ZmokinZmokin Posts: 1,493
    I don't have a weed burner or a Mapp torch.  Would using the BGE lighter squares work, place one under the pellets at one end and light.  If I only want to go 6 hours but lots of smoke, OK to light both ends?
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

·
  • grege345grege345 Posts: 3,224
    If you don't mind me chiming in here @Zmokin that is how I start my burn on my Amaze-n-smoker. I cut little squares that fit it the tray and then fill. Also I always light both ends. Whatever doesn't burn at the end of 6 hours will be used next time. Let the little squares burn off before you add food. Watch the wind
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

·
  • Zmokin, I dont have either a weed burner or a Mapp tourch.  If it is still cold tomorrow and i am at home may try lighting with the squares.  I kinda thoughtof that and dismissed it, now i will try that. 
    Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
    ·
  • mahenryakmahenryak Posts: 399
    Very nice and not too difficult to imagine some real possibilities, here.  I use to use a Big Chief Smoker to do salmon but have been wanting to put the egg to use for this.  Also, I've been dabbling with some hybrid egg / sous vide cooks.  This could help with that, as well.  Thank you for the details.
    LG BGE, KJ JR, Stoker WiFi Controller, and Anova Sous Vide

·
  • all that works. I use a torch. you can use squares or an oil soaked paper towel too. Anything that will really get it rocking for 10-15 min. A regular lighter would be tough. 

·
  • If you are looking for a pretty cheap torch alternative, this tip and a can of propane or map gas can probably be bought at Home Depot or lowes for under 15 bucks total...I've used it with my A-maze and it works well.

http://www.amazon.com/Mag-Torch-MT200C-Propane-Pencil-Burner/dp/B000692UYE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424739262&sr=8-1&keywords=Propane+torch
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
    ·