Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
There are two very delicious food holidays coming up that we wanted to share with you all because cheese and guac deserve to be celebrated! Guacamole Day is on September 16th and Cheeseburger Day is on September 18th. Happy cooking EGGheads! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Another rib roast question

I am considering doing two rib roasts this season - one for a dinner party, the other for Christmas.  Would you ever FTC a rib roast (cooked medium rare - 131) for maybe an hour before serving, or would it end up over done?

Also wondering, what rub or seasoning would you recommend?  I am thinking Montreal with some extra pepper, but open to subbestion
XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
Rochester, NY

Comments

• sea salt, fresh cracked pepper, chopped garlic and fresh chopped thyme.  coat the roasts in olive oil and then rub a liberal amount of the rub all over.  

• if you FTC, I'd pull at 125.  There is a spicy version of Montreal that works great on rib roast
    Chicago, Illinois
  • My experience has not been overdone, the problem I had was keeping it serving temp warm. Ribs, butts and briskets all have temps in the 180º to 200º range when FTC'd. Sitting for a few hours may simply lower the temp to the 130º to 150º range, still quite acceptable for serving without reheating. A low and slow rib roast at 135º and no heavy reverse sear, will start to cool pretty much when you take it off. If it cools to 110º to 120º it has that lukewarm feel, not overdone. We have a warming drawer in our oven, maintains a 125º to 130º and is the only way I've held a roast to serving temps. 
    I'm sure others will have some better ideas. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter.