Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2nd Egg Size?

Options

Hey All,

Got the green light on a second egg from SWMBO.  Question is what size.  I have a large.  I want this to be mobile for camping/races/vacations.  There will always be someone to help load/unload.  And there will always be at least 4 hungry mouths to feed.  Small or mini?  All recommendations welcome.  Thanks in advance.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
  • Jackh
    Jackh Posts: 109
    Options
    Small
    Lg&Sm ---Middleport NY
  • Loosemoose
    Loosemoose Posts: 295
    edited December 2013
    Options
    I'm watching this close as my wife has already tried to justify the need for a second egg!
    I also have a large egg. Do you guys get a good sear when doing reverse sear on the small? I thought I read where folks kind of thought the bottom door was a bit small on it?

Oh, and she ain't no SWMBO HAHAHAHAHA!
    Nowhere Indiana
  • Bustersdad
    Options

We recently added a Small to complement our Large.  The Small is Portable enough will still providing cooking area

• plumbfir01
    Options
    my next is a small so i can transport but big enough to be more useful

Beaufort, SC
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    Options
    small...been there - done that - have the t-shirt

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
  • jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    Options
    Based on the info you provided and the options you gave, I would go with the small. Hands down.

However, since you have help moving and unloading, I wouldn't rule out the Medium. I have a Large, small, and mini. If I could trade any of my eggs, it would be the small for the medium. There are more accessories available and more grid space. Just my 2 cents.

Either way, you will enjoy it!    :-bd
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

• Little Steven
    Options
    Large is easy to handle with two guys

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    medium or second large with the help of 2.
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Second large - so all your accessories will work with either.

Garnerville, NY
  • Charlesmaneri
    Options
    my 2nd is a large now I have 2 larges and I love it !!!!
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    I like my Mini, but we usually only cook for two.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Mini
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SoCal_Griller
    Options
    I'm in the same boat and getting ready to pull the trigger on a mini.  Mainly because we are empty nesters and most cooks are small.
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • SmokinOutBack
    Options
    I only have a large, but now wish I would have bought the XL, so XL is my choice.
    Cherry Hill, NJ
  • Charlesmaneri
    Charlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    edited December 2013
    Options
    SoCal_Griller   As far as being empty nesters I understand that but if you used a Large it's not like the lump is going to waste after the cook you extinguish the fire and the lump is ready for the next cook I feel that with a Large you have more room to work but thats just my .02 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I went to the dealer yesterday and compared small and Mini for my second.  It will be a Small - so much more flexible.  Can do a 12" pizza and handle a dutch oven, neither of which a mini can do.

As of now I have an XL.  Love it, but it is a ot of lump, and a lot to heat when just doing a couple of steaks or chops.  Also takes time to heat up in cold weather (5 months of the year)
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    edited December 2013
    Options
    I only have a large, but now wish I would have bought the XL, so XL is my choice.
    Agree...
    I started with a L, added a S, then XL.
    Never liked the S's puny lower vent and the p/s that chokes the air flow.  Bought another L on CL (price was too good to resist!) and sold the S for more $ than the new L!

I now use the XL more than the two L's.
    canuckland
  • revolver1
    Options
    Mini IMO
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • shadowcaster
    Options
    I originally got my Medium as a hand me down because the guy that had it wanted the Large. I now have a large as well. The medium is a good compliment and between the two i have plenty of cooking area. Next year I am planning on taking the medium up to deer camp to do either a brisket of a pork butt. With 2 guys the medium is easy to move around and you have the freedom to do more with the medium than the small.
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I vote for the medium.  Only 37 pounds heavier and will help to feed the 4 hungry mouths better than a small.  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,657
    Options
    Small. No doubt about it. Whatever you decide, you will love it.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options

I also cook for four. I have trouble on a large for four. I like left overs. I normally cook six chicken breat when doing chicken or five ribeyes. IMO I would not go smaller than a large. If you do sides and main on the grill I think the large will be a better fit. Plus you have someone to help you transport it. I plan on tailgating with my large next year. Death Valley baby. 

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• SoCal_Griller
    Options
    @Charelsmaneri I appreciate your two cents.  I already own a large and am very happy with it.  But for most cooks I do, a mini would be fine.   Using the large for sides at the same time cooking the protein on the mini seems like the way to go for us.  Now don't get me wrong, I would love to get a small, but convincing SWMBO that we need a mini is tough enough!
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • krobertsmsn
    Options
    I have LBGE, MBGE and just added mini. Mini gets all the work here lately and I love it. It's just me and hubby tho. I could foresee being in a pinch if there were 4 of us. I agree w/cookinbob on the pizza and DO issue.

To stick to your orig question, with all things considered-portability, feed 4 etc, I would vote for small. Get a griddle so you can do breakfast etc
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    My vote is for the small given your cooking requirements but I have seen some of the fantabulous cooks coming off the mini and the grid size isn't that much smaller than a small. I guess I am not much help

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Just got a small, I love it! I think it would fit you perfectly. It's portable and still big enough to easily cook for four or more. Smoke a good sized butt or chicken.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum