Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Suggestions on precook for pulled pork

Options
At our annual golfers Christmas party coming up this Saturday, I always bring pulled pork. I start the day before and wrap it a few hours before the party. This year,  a cold front is hitting Dallas Thursday with freezing rain Friday and Saturday - not my idea of cooking weather. However today and tomorrow will be in 70's.

I am thinking of cooking tonight and tomorrow and then reheating and pulling at the party.

Suggestions: Just foil and refrigerate until Saturday or would it be better to foil and freeze until Friday night?

What temp and for about how long on reheat from refrigerator? It is boneless and 15 lbs.

Thanks for any help.
TV

P.S. Please no comments about being a wimp for not braving the cold. I will admit to that fact.

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Cook, while warm foodsaver and heat in simmering water.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    +1 on what henapple said. I just did this procedure for brisket and pulled pork over Thanksgiving when traveling. Only thing I would add is once packed in foodsaver, drop in ice water to cool quicker prior to throwing in fridge/freezer.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    If no food saver (like me).  I pull mine and refrigerate.  To reheat I put it in a aluminum pan with some apple cider/juice (1-2 cups), cover with foil and reheat @ 350 for 20mins (or until warm).

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    One more clarification- I think it is easier to pull it while it is still hot then reheat it.  I have heard of folks refrigerating or freezing the whole cooked put, heating, then pulling.  However, I would think it would take much longer to heat the entire hunk and would be harder to pull.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    LOL!  I have to comment anyways.  Crappy weather is no reason not to cook!  I would cook it Turbo on Saturday and take it fresh to the party!  You only need to go outside for a few minutes, the egg does not care.

Think how impressed your golfing buddies will be!
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Mud Pig
    Mud Pig Posts: 489
    Options
    Pulled pork always taster better the second day.  At least to the cooks palette, since its not inundated with hickory smoke during the cooking process.  I would do your normal cook, rest period, then pull it.  Put in some food saver bags and reheat it with 2 cups of applec juice, 1 cup of applecider vinegar, and 1 tbs of the rub you used.  Will come out nicely.
  • SmokinDAWG82
    Options
    I'd cook it, pull it, and foodsaver in bags, reheat in simmering water. Pretty much what Tony said!
    Just watch the water temp, I left a bag on and got distracted with football and let the water boil and the seams came apart. Not good...
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Texas Vintner
    Options
    I haven't cooked one turbo. How long per pound at 350? I might brave the weather if not all night.
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I haven't cooked one turbo. How long per pound at 350? I might brave the weather if not all night.
    Never figured it by the pound.  Butts I buy are usually 7- 8 lbs.  I would figure about 5 hours, can go a bit faster if you foil at the stall. 

To me and a lot of others it tastes the same as low&slow.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    +1 on turbo and foiling at the stall.  I add a little apple cider vinegar and dust with a little more rub as I wrap it up.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Texas Vintner
    Options
    Should I foil at the start or at the end of stall?
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    Just whenever you notice it has stalled.  Some don't wait for the stall and just foil when it hits 155-160.  Me, I don't foil at all, end up with a great bark, not quite as fall apart as low and slow but still fantastic product. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season.