Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Finally Joined the Club

Options
I have been cooking on a Weber Performer and Homemade (by me) reverse flow wood-fired smoker.  About a year ago, I decided that I wanted a Kamado.  But, I was too cheap to buy a BGE, so I bought a Chargriller Akorn.  I quickly fell in love with the Kamado.  However, after a handful of high-temp pizza cooks, the gasket was shot and the interior paint was flaking off.  So, I bit the bullet and bought a LBGE.  I am in love!!!  My wife bought me a PartyQ and I can now do long smokes while I am at work.  The BGE is soooo much nicer than the Akorn.  I still love the taste of meats smoked on the reverse flow smoker, but the set it and forget it nature of the BGE cannot be beat.  My only regret is not buying one sooner.

Comments

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options

Welcome to the journey!  You will love this forum; there is a wealth of info and help here.  Don't ever hesitate to ask.

The only dumb question is the one you don't ask; you can't get an answer that way.

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Welcome aboard!  Tons of great info from some very helpful folks here. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Welcome & enjoy the plethora of information on here
    Beaufort, SC
  • jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    Options
    Welcome aboard!
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  As you have figured out, it is a game changer.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Cymbaline65
    Options
    This place is a bit of a cult. A tasty cult mind you, but a cult nonetheless. Welcome!
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • NibbleMeThis
    Options
    I looked at one of those Akorns out of curiosity (already have two Eggs) last year and wondered how many people that buy those end up buying a better kamado like the Egg or Pword anyway.

Welcome to the club.  I'm guessing that you kept your reverse flow stick burner just for fun or competitions.   I use my Eggs the majority of the time but I still like to play with my stick burners every now and then.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Hoov
    Hoov Posts: 264
    Options
    Welcome! Lots of knowledgable folks here to help you out with all things BGE! Don't hesitate to ask any questions and remember, take pictures of your cooks or they didn't happen! Best to you!
    - Proud owner of a Large BGE
    - Norman, OK
  • brianwdmn
    Options
    Welcome! You've found a site with friendly advice and a wealth of eggsperience! Enjoy the learning.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • Fireman_Joe
    Options
    Welcome to the club !
    Gambrills,Maryland

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    In what way does the BGE cook better than the Akorn.  A colleague of mine is very happy with his and it made me wonder if - for the price - it would be the better option for most folks.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Welcome aboard!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Welcome..
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • j_beau
    j_beau Posts: 14
    Options
    You will like it here!
  • roblew
    roblew Posts: 78
    Options
    Welcome you will love it.
    Ringgold GA LBGE
  • morgaj1
    Options
    Nibblemethis, I kept my stick burner for fun.  I have way too many welding hours in that one to give it away.

Foghorn, it is purely a matter of quality as to why the BGE is better than the Akorn.  I never could get it completely airtight to do low temp smokes.  Also, the interior paint started flaking, the wood tables cracked and the hardware was rusting.  For $300, it is still a good buy for someone who never intends to pony up for the BGE.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Welcome! Lots of folks here ready to help. And post pics of your results.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Welcome to the herd. You will find that there are a lot of great people on here and a wealth of knowledge. A few funnies in there also. Post those PICS!
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • morgaj1
    morgaj1 Posts: 37
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Here is my Egg and table:

• Buckdodger
    Options
    Nice setup, welcome aboard and ...WDE!

Opelika, Alabama
  • fordboys12
    Options
    Welcome aboard!
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Welcome my friend.  Love the table too!  I would love to have something like that! 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Welcome, see you do the right thing buy an egg and the Gods smile, you beat Alabama.....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    Welcome from Midlothian, Virginia.  Everyone here loves smoking, and most enjoy a good adult beverage as well. 
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • morgaj1
    Options
    Thanks for the kind comments.  My uncle owns a business making cypress BGE tables and was kind enough to give me one.  My 2 toddlers and I stained it and I think it turned out pretty good.  

For those interested, here is the reverse flow stick burner I built several years ago.  I made it from a 3ft section of reclaimed natural gas pipe.  It and the firebox are 3/8" thick steel.  I also installed a propane started in the firebox to help get the logs going quickly.

• SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    Welcome aboard.  This is a friendly and helpful sight so don't be afraid to ask about anything.  Did you actually get the feet with your egg?

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• morgaj1
    Options
    Welcome aboard.  This is a friendly and helpful sight so don't be afraid to ask about anything.  Did you actually get the feet with your egg?
    I did.  I use them as a spacer for my pizza stone.
  • freddyj
    freddyj Posts: 129
    Options
    Wow, I really like that stick burner! That wasn't paint flaking inside your Akorn. That's how the creosote build up inside of a metal grill looks. Used to get that on my gasser. You just knock it off with your grill brush.
    Kamado Joe Big Joe, Classic & Junior
  • morgaj1
    Options
    freddyj said:
    Wow, I really like that stick burner! That wasn't paint flaking inside your Akorn. That's how the creosote build up inside of a metal grill looks. Used to get that on my gasser. You just knock it off with your grill brush.
    No, it wasn't creosote.  I had a Weber for years and am familiar with the creosote cleaning with aluminum foil.  Chargriller would have done better to make the inner layer of metal from stainless and left it uncoated.

Thanks for the compliment on the stick burner.  There are more welding/cutting hours than I care to admit.  I don't know how Ben Lang and Jamie Geer make money on these things.
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    With 3/8" steel plate, that stick burner must weigh hundreds of lbs!  Definitely need a truck just to move it!

Your egg setup looks awesome - welcome to the forum!
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY