Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dueling Birds

Options
I smoked one and fried the other for Thanksgiving.  Both were equally amazing.  The bird off the egg had the best flavor.  It was fun to man both the fryer and egg.  I felt like a chef going back and forth.  Also did some pig shots...so amazing!  Can't wait to do it all again for Christmas!
LGBE August 2013

Louisville, KY

Comments

• j_beau
    j_beau Posts: 14
    Options
    We fried 9 birds for our church and they were great. They just have a certain flavor about them.my neighbor ran his through a brine and smoked it on the egg and it was awesome!
  • timothyloerke
    Options
    I brined both of them with a recipe I found on grillinfools.com.  It had carrots, onions, garlic, allspice berries, peppercorns, apple cider, salt, and rosemary.  It was divine!  9 birds????  That sounds aweseome!  How many fryers did you have going, @j_beau
    LGBE August 2013

Louisville, KY
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Looks good.  When I read your subject line I thought you were going to reference this picture.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I fried a turkey only once.  5 gallons of oil cost way more than the turkey.  20 minutes to fry the turkey, and 2 hours to clean the burned oil off the pot and burner.  Boiled over oil also made a mess of the yard.   After all that, I did not think the turkey was as good as one cooked on the grill.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    Love fried turkey.  Haven't done one for awhile.  Looks good.  The oil can be re-used.  I'll strain mine thru a paint filter and store in a designated gas can.  A family tradition is frying oysters on Christmas eve.  Fish fries are also awesome.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014