Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meat Candy

Options

So I did my first brisket this weekend and really screwed up.  I bought a Snake River Farm American Wagyu beef brisket from my local butcher shop and it was the best I've ever had!!!!!!  No where to go from here but down I'm afraid. 

16 lbs., rubbed with fresh cracked pepper and kosher salt 50/50.  Raised indirect with drip pan of water and a few chunks of hickory @ 250 on DigiQ.  I pulled it when it hit internal temp of 197.  It only took 13 hours so I think my temp was a bit hotter than DigiQ was reading due to probe placement.  Wrapped in foil, towels and placed in cooler for a few hours until wife got back from shopping and party started.  Had planned on doing APL's burnt ends from "Serious BBQ" but decided against it since a high quality cut.  Also made a Texas BBQ sauce for those who wanted but this meat candy didn't need anything.  It'll be a while before I splurge on Wagyu brisket again.  I'm so screwed!!!  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
Peachtree Corners, GA

Comments

• TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Options
    Yeah, my brisket has looked that moist exactly zero times.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    It looks amazing!  I think you have thoroughly screwed yourself :P.  Nothing but $110 briskets will do now! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    It looks amazing!  I think you have thoroughly screwed yourself :P.  Nothing but $110 briskets will do now! 
    Hahaha.  Just can't invite the same friends next time and the wife and kids will just have to be disappointed.  Oh well.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    Options
    =P~

Seriously, great cook!
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

• Hoov
    Hoov Posts: 264
    Options
    Wow, that looks ridiculously moist. Great cook!
    - Proud owner of a Large BGE
    - Norman, OK
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options

Thanks for making my left over pork chops taste like crap at dinner time.

Great looking brisket.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    You're going to have to just sacrifice the next brisket to lower expectations. Cook them a piece of shoe leather just one time and they'll appreciate every solid effort thereafter.
    It's all about managing expectations - although (like most of us) you'll probably find it is your own expectations that are hardest to manage.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    What butcher shop carries SRF? I am in GA.
  • freduc2
    Options
    That looks incredible.
    LBGE, Weber Performer. Located in Franklin County Pa.
  • GATraveller
    Options
    @Lit - Patton's Meat Market in Duluth

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • GATraveller
    Options
    @Foghorn - your absolutely right. If theres anything I learned in school its to set a really low bar.

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • rsmith193
    rsmith193 Posts: 219
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Nice cook, welcome to the Wagyu family. Now you know why I use SRF Wagyu for competition. It is great! A bit pricey for the daily cooks but for special events its worth it. I did one for Thanksgiving (I don't eat bird). Chances are your Digique is right. Wagyu cooks faster because of the fat content.
  • GATraveller
    Options
    @rsmith193 - definitely not an everyday cook but amazing for special occasions.  Almost seems like cheating it's so moist. 

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SmokinDAWG82
    Options
    Looks great, which butcher shop got it for you, I'm interested!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • GATraveller
    Options
    @SmokinDAWG82 - Patton's Meat Market in Duluth carries them.

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    How close was I to that $110 price tag?  ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    It may have been more than $110. I added 2 to my cart last night and with shipping it was $220 straight from SRF.
  • GATraveller
    edited December 2013
    Options

@SmokeyPitt - you were in the ball park but a little short.  :)

@Lit - You will not be disappointed.  Enjoy!!!

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA