Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New A-Maze-N smoker came in... but something is amiss...

Options
2»

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I think Todd has been having a rough couple weeks. When I talked to him the bad batch had 3000 and he guessed that 400 had shipped out before they caught it.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • THE DRU
    Options
    Could someone please explain what holes are wrong?  I am thinking about ordering one and the picture on the web site looks like the one at the top of this thread or am I missing something?  Mike

Versailles, KY

XL, Lg, MM, Performer, Q

• laserdoc85
    Options
    Look close at the first picture in the post and then at the second. The holes are suppose to be at the end of each maze. In the first one the hole is wrong
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    Options
    I got an email from him today saying my my replacement had shipped.
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

• bettysnephew
    Options
    twlangan said:
    I would have contacted them to let them know that it slipped through and just drilled new holes where they were supposed to be.
    Do not try to drill holes in the perforated metal.  The bit will grab as it breaks through and jump out of the vise or your hand.  If your hand is near, you will likely be torn up by the now deformed item spinning on the end of the drill bit.  The ignition holes in that type of metal must be punched on a hydraulic punch.  We fabricate items from that same type of stock at work and one of our mechanics was badly injured trying to drill a hole through it.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    Options
    Last update on this subject:

I received the replacement A-MAZE-N smoker today. Included in the box was a 2lb bag of wood pellets (pitmaster's choice flavor). I would definitely recommend this company to anyone! It turns out that the gentleman I spoke to earlier (Todd) is actually the owner of the company. I have nothing but good things to say about his customer service.

Thanks,
    Josh
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

• laserdoc85
    laserdoc85 Posts: 577
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Also got a new one from Todd today. He said keep the old one. He also included a 2 pound bag of that pitmaster wood pellets and a small pack  of Tatonka Dust Seasoning.
    That is a stand up guy. I bought the first one off Amazon and he said no worries

Anyone try this pit master wood?
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • DenaSmoker
    Options
    So just this weekend I was looking for recipes/instructions for smoking cheese.  I came across the A-Maze-N Smoker.  Which one is everyone using?  The 5x8 box in this thread?  Also how long should the cheese be smoked?
  • fletcherfam
    Options
    I use 5x8 with cherry pellets for 90 minutes
  • BizGreenEgg
    Options
    How long you doing cheese with this little jewel? I just did a bunch on my Bradley smoker and cold smoked for 2 hours at 80 degrees . it is now vacuum sealed and in the frig until Xmas morning. I thought I saw someone say they did 6 hours !!!  What I have read that is way way to long. 2 to 2.5 was the standard. Also with this amaze can you regulated the heat at all? What was your temp throughout the whole smoking process either for cheese or bacon
    I ran this for 6 hours on my first batch with oak pellets. Turned out great after a week in vacuum sealing. Just ran another batch yesterday with apple/hickory mixture. looks as good and will let it mellow this week before tasting. 
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • DenaSmoker
    Options
    So I just ordered my 5x8 and a 5# bag of Hickory pellets.  I decided to order from their website based on the posts about customer service.  

Any ideas on where else to order the pellets?  $10 shipping could get a little pricey.

Can't wait to smoke some cheese!!
  • DenaSmoker
    Options
    Do you guys flip the cheese at anytime during the smoking process or just let it go?
  • fletcherfam
    Options
    Just let it go
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Any ideas on where else to order the pellets? 

Anywhere that sells Traeger pellets. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • laserdoc85
    Options
    I just ordered some traeger pellets off Amazon  20 pounds for 28 bucks. Thought it was not a bad price since that included shipping.
    Was at Costco today and they had Hickory traeger pellets 20 pounds for 14 bucks !!!
    Rushed home to see If I could cancel and it had been delivered !!. Now I need to use this 20 pounds up and get them from Costco. One problem tho,,,,,they only have Hickory and no other flavor. So I would still look at Amazon. I got 20 pounds of Apple last week from the site
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • laserdoc85
    Options
    How long you doing cheese with this little jewel? I just did a bunch on my Bradley smoker and cold smoked for 2 hours at 80 degrees . it is now vacuum sealed and in the frig until Xmas morning. I thought I saw someone say they did 6 hours !!!  What I have read that is way way to long. 2 to 2.5 was the standard. Also with this amaze can you regulated the heat at all? What was your temp throughout the whole smoking process either for cheese or bacon
    I ran this for 6 hours on my first batch with oak pellets. Turned out great after a week in vacuum sealing. Just ran another batch yesterday with apple/hickory mixture. looks as good and will let it mellow this week before tasting. 
    You should smoke cheese 2 to 3 hours. Then vacume seal it and let it sit in the frig at least 4 weeks. I have a bunch sealed and ready to open Xmas morning
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    Ace Hardware usually has the Traeger pellets. They cost about $19 for 20 pounds.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• MossyMO
    MossyMO Posts: 10
    Options
    Also got a new one from Todd today. He said keep the old one. He also included a 2 pound bag of that pitmaster wood pellets and a small pack  of Tatonka Dust Seasoning.
    That is a stand up guy.
    What did you think of the flavor of the Tatonka Dust seasoning?
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Dumb question from someone who doesn't have one of these yet (but soon will): what's the purpose of the hole in the first place?  Surely not to light the pellets, you could just angle your lighter down inside the end of the maze...   :-/

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• chashans
    chashans Posts: 418
    Options
    jtippers said:
    Does this look funny to you guys?

imageimage
    LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

• Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    Botch said:

Dumb question from someone who doesn't have one of these yet (but soon will): what's the purpose of the hole in the first place?  Surely not to light the pellets, you could just angle your lighter down inside the end of the maze...   :-/

I use a mapp gas torch to lite mine...I alternate between the hole and the top for about 30 seconds and let it burn for about 10 minutes then blow out the flame and place it in the smoker.
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...