Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Manatee Steaks & Smoked Kingfish Spread

Comments

• Sorry my note got dropped. I could not help myself on the Manatee comment. Went fishing the other day and the Manatees are all up in the bay. Anyways made a batch of Kingfish and Spanish Mackerel Spread for Thanksgiving. Smoked as slow as possible. Everything was to taste and used Worcestershire, Lemon Zest, Cream Cheese, Sour Cream and Hot Sauce. It was my best batch yet. Took extra care to trim out blood lines and hand separated the meat after smoking. Good stuff.
  • Hoov
    Hoov Posts: 264
    Looks good! Manatee eh? Where did you find it?
    - Proud owner of a Large BGE
    - Norman, OK
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,829
    So the meat that is smoking in the pictures is kingfish and mackerel?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Sorry my note got dropped. I could not help myself on the Manatee comment. Went fishing the other day and the Manatees are all up in the bay. Anyways made a batch of Kingfish and Spanish Mackerel Spread for Thanksgiving. Smoked as slow as possible. Everything was to taste and used Worcestershire, Lemon Zest, Cream Cheese, Sour Cream and Hot Sauce. It was my best batch yet. Took extra care to trim out blood lines and hand separated the meat after smoking. Good stuff.
  • I was kidding on the manatee. I hear in the old old days the crackers would eat em. The Mackerel is fair game though!
  • I was kidding on the manatee. I hear in the old old days the crackers would eat em. The Mackerel is fair game though!

I was kidding on the manatee. I hear in the old old days the crackers would eat em. The Mackerel is fair game though!
    My jaw dropped when I read that. They would be blubbery like seals and whales I think

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414

I was kidding on the manatee. I hear in the old old days the crackers would eat em. The Mackerel is fair game though!

My jaw dropped when I read that. They would be blubbery like seals and whales I think

Mine did too. He'd be in jail in Florida.
  • If we had them here they would be fair game

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    I was going to say, that definitely isn't legal and I'm curious what they taste like being the cow of the sea and all. I tried smoking kingfish once. It still to this day comes up as, "can't be worse than that kingfish. " How'd you smoke them?
    Dunedin, FL
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    People had been sent to get your Eggs. They have been called back.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Sorry fellas. I got a book a few years back which is a collection of newspaper articles from sportsman adventures - "Tales from Old Florida". There were a few articles on eating Manatee. It even mentions using Mangrove wood which if your not from these parts is also protected. Anyways, smoked the fish with Apple Wood. I think both fish are ideal for smoking as they have a high oil content.