Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Felt "gasket" lining the egg...

Options
Tom
Tom Posts: 189
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I burned mine taking out the electric starter when the top fell. It leaks smoke out of the side now. Any suggestions on how to fix that or where can you get a replacement. Thank you.

Comments

• locolongball
    Options
    Tom,[p]Need to call the Mothership, or a local dealer and replace the Gasket. I've replaced mine twice, and it took me about 1hr, each time. Good Luck
  • Tom
    Tom Posts: 189
    Options
    locolongball, is it real difficult to do? Or a better question... is it easy to screw up? Thank you.

• Snoopy Dog Dog
    Options
    Tom,[p]I've done it a couple of times, and it's not that hard. You just have to make sure you get all of the old felt, glue and gunk off the lip or the new gasket won't stick well. After you scrape as much off as you can, rub the lip with alcohol to clean it well. After you put the felt on, you need to let it set for a few days before you cook on it or it will peel off. (That's the hardest part because you will think about all the things you want to cook while you can't) I'm pretty sure the Naked Whiz has a section devoted to replacing the gasket. Have a good one.[p]Chris
  • locolongball,[p]
    I am In Indiana, the temp has cooled off i am having a hard time getting my lid up, i have had mine a year and a half, is there any way of cleaning the gasket or is it time to replace, any help would be helpful. Thanks Roger

• Why1504
    Why1504 Posts: 277
    Options
    Tom,[p]Heat the egg up put on some gloves and take a razor blade scraper to the old gasket. It will come off fairly easily.
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Tom, It takes a bit of time to clean and place the new gasket down correctly. The gasket is single sided tape, so once down it hard to rearange. Make sure the surface is real clean. I have used a belt sander to remove the old glue and get a nice smooth surface. I dont take any of the ceramic off either.