Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
April showers bring...National BBQ Month! Are you ready for a month full of briskets, pulled pork and chicken wings? We hope so, because it’s almost here! Keep an eye out for some of our favorite BBQ recipes we’ll be sharing with you throughout the month of May.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Meat Candy

So I did my first brisket this weekend and really screwed up.  I bought a Snake River Farm American Wagyu beef brisket from my local butcher shop and it was the best I've ever had!!!!!!  No where to go from here but down I'm afraid. 

16 lbs., rubbed with fresh cracked pepper and kosher salt 50/50.  Raised indirect with drip pan of water and a few chunks of hickory @ 250 on DigiQ.  I pulled it when it hit internal temp of 197.  It only took 13 hours so I think my temp was a bit hotter than DigiQ was reading due to probe placement.  Wrapped in foil, towels and placed in cooler for a few hours until wife got back from shopping and party started.  Had planned on doing APL's burnt ends from "Serious BBQ" but decided against it since a high quality cut.  Also made a Texas BBQ sauce for those who wanted but this meat candy didn't need anything.  It'll be a while before I splurge on Wagyu brisket again.  I'm so screwed!!!  

"Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees." 
-Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Peachtree Corners, GA
·

Comments

• TonyATonyA Posts: 563
    Yeah, my brisket has looked that moist exactly zero times.
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,022
    It looks amazing!  I think you have thoroughly screwed yourself :P.  Nothing but $110 briskets will do now! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • GATravellerGATraveller Posts: 1,164
    It looks amazing!  I think you have thoroughly screwed yourself :P.  Nothing but $110 briskets will do now! 
    Hahaha.  Just can't invite the same friends next time and the wife and kids will just have to be disappointed.  Oh well.

Peachtree Corners, GA
    ·
  • jtippersjtippers Posts: 509
    =P~

Seriously, great cook!
    LBGE April 2011 • SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013
    ·
  • HoovHoov Posts: 257
    Wow, that looks ridiculously moist. Great cook!
    - Proud owner of a Large BGE
    - Norman, OK
    ·
  • Thanks for making my left over pork chops taste like crap at dinner time.

Great looking brisket.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

·
  • FoghornFoghorn Posts: 2,250
    You're going to have to just sacrifice the next brisket to lower expectations. Cook them a piece of shoe leather just one time and they'll appreciate every solid effort thereafter.
    It's all about managing expectations - although (like most of us) you'll probably find it is your own expectations that are hardest to manage.

XL BGE, Klose BYC, ProQ Excel, Weber Kettle, Firepit, Grand Turbo gasser, and a portable Outdoor Gourmet gasser for tailgating

San Antonio, TX

·
  • LitLit Posts: 3,541
    What butcher shop carries SRF? I am in GA.
    ·
  • That looks incredible.
    LBGE, Weber Performer. Located in Franklin County Pa.
    ·
    @Lit - Patton's Meat Market in Duluth

Peachtree Corners, GA
    ·
    @Foghorn - your absolutely right. If theres anything I learned in school its to set a really low bar.

Peachtree Corners, GA
    ·
  • rsmith193rsmith193 Posts: 219
    edited December 2013
    Nice cook, welcome to the Wagyu family. Now you know why I use SRF Wagyu for competition. It is great! A bit pricey for the daily cooks but for special events its worth it. I did one for Thanksgiving (I don't eat bird). Chances are your Digique is right. Wagyu cooks faster because of the fat content.
    ·
    @rsmith193 - definitely not an everyday cook but amazing for special occasions.  Almost seems like cheating it's so moist. 

Peachtree Corners, GA
    ·
  • Looks great, which butcher shop got it for you, I'm interested!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
    @SmokinDAWG82 - Patton's Meat Market in Duluth carries them.

Peachtree Corners, GA
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,022
    How close was I to that $110 price tag?  ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • LitLit Posts: 3,541
    It may have been more than $110. I added 2 to my cart last night and with shipping it was $220 straight from SRF.
    ·
    edited December 2013

@SmokeyPitt - you were in the ball park but a little short.  :)

@Lit - You will not be disappointed.  Enjoy!!!

Peachtree Corners, GA
    ·