Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Finally Joined the Club

I have been cooking on a Weber Performer and Homemade (by me) reverse flow wood-fired smoker.  About a year ago, I decided that I wanted a Kamado.  But, I was too cheap to buy a BGE, so I bought a Chargriller Akorn.  I quickly fell in love with the Kamado.  However, after a handful of high-temp pizza cooks, the gasket was shot and the interior paint was flaking off.  So, I bit the bullet and bought a LBGE.  I am in love!!!  My wife bought me a PartyQ and I can now do long smokes while I am at work.  The BGE is soooo much nicer than the Akorn.  I still love the taste of meats smoked on the reverse flow smoker, but the set it and forget it nature of the BGE cannot be beat.  My only regret is not buying one sooner.
·

Comments

• jaydub58jaydub58 Posts: 1,429

Welcome to the journey!  You will love this forum; there is a wealth of info and help here.  Don't ever hesitate to ask.

The only dumb question is the one you don't ask; you can't get an answer that way.

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,593
    Welcome aboard!  Tons of great info from some very helpful folks here. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • plumbfir01plumbfir01 Posts: 678
    edited December 2013
    Welcome & enjoy the plethora of information on here
    Beaufort, SC
    ·
  • jtippersjtippers Posts: 509
    Welcome aboard!
    LBGE April 2011 • SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 5,932
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  As you have figured out, it is a game changer.
    Louisville
    ·
  • This place is a bit of a cult. A tasty cult mind you, but a cult nonetheless. Welcome!
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
    ·
  • I looked at one of those Akorns out of curiosity (already have two Eggs) last year and wondered how many people that buy those end up buying a better kamado like the Egg or Pword anyway.

Welcome to the club.  I'm guessing that you kept your reverse flow stick burner just for fun or competitions.   I use my Eggs the majority of the time but I still like to play with my stick burners every now and then.
    ·
  • HoovHoov Posts: 256
    Welcome! Lots of knowledgable folks here to help you out with all things BGE! Don't hesitate to ask any questions and remember, take pictures of your cooks or they didn't happen! Best to you!
    - Proud owner of a Large BGE
    - Norman, OK
    ·
  • Welcome! You've found a site with friendly advice and a wealth of eggsperience! Enjoy the learning.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
    ·
  • Welcome to the club !
    Key Largo,Florida  
    2-LBGE, High Que grates, Kick Ash Baskets, SmokeWear Caps, Adjustable Rig, Woo, Stoker II, Amaz-n-smoker, Thermapen, Rockwood charcoal
    Mini Max, No accessories yet !

Gambrills,Maryland
    2-LBGE, same accessories as in Florida
    ·
  • FoghornFoghorn Posts: 2,134
    In what way does the BGE cook better than the Akorn.  A colleague of mine is very happy with his and it made me wonder if - for the price - it would be the better option for most folks.

XL BGE, Klose BYC, ProQ Excel, Weber Kettle, Firepit, Grand Turbo gasser, and a portable Outdoor Gourmet gasser for tailgating

San Antonio, TX

·
  • RACRAC Posts: 1,314
    Welcome aboard!

Ricky

Spring, TX

·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 13,527
    Welcome..
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • j_beauj_beau Posts: 14
    You will like it here!
    ·
  • roblewroblew Posts: 77
    Welcome you will love it.
    Ringgold GA LBGE
    ·
  • Nibblemethis, I kept my stick burner for fun.  I have way too many welding hours in that one to give it away.

Foghorn, it is purely a matter of quality as to why the BGE is better than the Akorn.  I never could get it completely airtight to do low temp smokes.  Also, the interior paint started flaking, the wood tables cracked and the hardware was rusting.  For $300, it is still a good buy for someone who never intends to pony up for the BGE.
    ·
  • DMWDMW Posts: 5,867
    Welcome! Lots of folks here ready to help. And post pics of your results.
    My Facebook Place where I document my cooking
    Morgantown, PA
    XL BGE - S BGE - Blackstone Pizza Oven - 30" Steel Fire Pit w/Cooking Grid - Hasty Bake Legacy - KJ Jr - Gasser
    ·
  • HotchHotch Posts: 1,145
    Welcome to the herd. You will find that there are a lot of great people on here and a wealth of knowledge. A few funnies in there also. Post those PICS!

"You’re not a real Texan till you’ve been kicked out of every decent state in America." - Joe Bob Briggs

LBGE, Mini BGE and R&V Fryer

Prosper TX

And your are correct, Texas Red has no Beans

·
  • morgaj1morgaj1 Posts: 37
    edited December 2013
    Here is my Egg and table:

·
  • Nice setup, welcome aboard and ...WDE!

Alexander City,Al
    ·
  • Welcome aboard!
    ·
  • tarheelmatttarheelmatt Posts: 2,642
    Welcome my friend.  Love the table too!  I would love to have something like that! 
    Thanks,

Matthew
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

Thomasville, NC - Large BGE (w/Nest) - Plate Setter - Maverick ET-733 - BBQ Guru Party-Q (new design ) Pizza Stone - BGE V-Rack - Weed Torch (to light egg)

Facebook
    My Photography Site
    ·
  • Welcome, see you do the right thing buy an egg and the Gods smile, you beat Alabama.....
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • 500500 Posts: 1,511
    Welcome from Midlothian, Virginia.  Everyone here loves smoking, and most enjoy a good adult beverage as well. 
    Large BGE; Midlothian, Virginia
    I like Pig Butts and I can not lie.
    "Barbecue is a journey, one meal at a time."
    ·
  • Thanks for the kind comments.  My uncle owns a business making cypress BGE tables and was kind enough to give me one.  My 2 toddlers and I stained it and I think it turned out pretty good.  

For those interested, here is the reverse flow stick burner I built several years ago.  I made it from a 3ft section of reclaimed natural gas pipe.  It and the firebox are 3/8" thick steel.  I also installed a propane started in the firebox to help get the logs going quickly.

·
  • Welcome aboard.  This is a friendly and helpful sight so don't be afraid to ask about anything.  Did you actually get the feet with your egg?

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

·
  • Welcome aboard.  This is a friendly and helpful sight so don't be afraid to ask about anything.  Did you actually get the feet with your egg?
    I did.  I use them as a spacer for my pizza stone.
    ·
  • freddyjfreddyj Posts: 126
    Wow, I really like that stick burner! That wasn't paint flaking inside your Akorn. That's how the creosote build up inside of a metal grill looks. Used to get that on my gasser. You just knock it off with your grill brush.
    Kamado Joe Big Joe, Classic & Junior
    ·
  • freddyj said:
    Wow, I really like that stick burner! That wasn't paint flaking inside your Akorn. That's how the creosote build up inside of a metal grill looks. Used to get that on my gasser. You just knock it off with your grill brush.
    No, it wasn't creosote.  I had a Weber for years and am familiar with the creosote cleaning with aluminum foil.  Chargriller would have done better to make the inner layer of metal from stainless and left it uncoated.

Thanks for the compliment on the stick burner.  There are more welding/cutting hours than I care to admit.  I don't know how Ben Lang and Jamie Geer make money on these things.
    ·
  • CookinbobCookinbob Posts: 1,437
    With 3/8" steel plate, that stick burner must weigh hundreds of lbs!  Definitely need a truck just to move it!

Your egg setup looks awesome - welcome to the forum!
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
    ·