Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sunday cooks and looking for some advice.

YEMTrey
YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
edited December 2013 in EggHead Forum
Cooked a 6.5 pound turkey breast and some Spiedies after that. Turkey turned out moist and amazing. Couple of comments though. I didn't use any wood chips due to fear of an overly smokey flavor. Think I'll add just a few cherry chips next time. Next, the skin wasn't crispy at all. Do I give it the same treatment as chicken and let it air dry in the fridge for 24 hrs prior? Will that dry out the meat as well? Or use a bit of cornstarch on the skin? The turkey itself was incredible, but I was left wanting more out of the skin. Cheers!
Steve 
XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Looks great. For poultry, I like a little bit of pecan wood. Not too much, because it's easy to over smoke. Pecan turns the skin a great brown color. You have reminded me it's time to do Spiedies again. Haven't done them in a while. How did they turn out?
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I do a lot of turkey breast and hardly ever let the dry in fridge & most always have crispy skin. How did you cook and what temp? I will cook at about 375-400 indirect.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • YEMTrey
    @Tjcoley, the spiedies turned out great.  They are a family favorite around here.  Regularly get requests to make them. Too easy to prep, and a quick cook.

@Mattman3969, I cooked it indirect at 350. Didn't do anything to the bird other than apply Plowboys Yardbird to it.
    Steve 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    The turkey breast looks great.  Can you shed some light on what Spiedies are? 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • YEMTrey
    edited December 2013
    @caliking, It's a recipe that a friend of mine in upstate NY turned me on to.  I've only made them with chicken thus far. He made them at a party and they were amazing.  Recipe to follow:

Spiedie Sauce - Revised April 2011

5 lbs. of cubed meat (pork loin, lamb, chicken breast, venison)

Marinade:
    2/3 cup olive oil     
    1/4 cup white vinegar
    1/4 cup white wine (whatever's handy)         
    Juice of 1 lemon
    1 Tbsp salt
    2 tsp black pepper, ground         
    8 cloves garlic, minced       
    1/4 cup (good sized handful befire chopping) fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
    2 Tbsp (before chopping) fresh mint, chopped
    2 tsp oregano, dried
    2 tsp chives, dried
    1 tsp lemon thyme, dried
    1 tsp basil, dried (or 1 Tbsp fresh, chopped)
    1 tsp rosemary sprigs
    1 tsp marjoram, dried
    1 - 2 tsp Accent (aka MSG) - optional, see below

For a bit spicier flavor, add:
    1 tsp cayenne
    1 tsp white pepper
    1/2 tsp nutmeg

Mix together all ingredients except for the meat  in a 2 cup Pyrex mixing cup. Cut meat into 1 to 1-1/2 inch cubes. Place meat into a marinating container large enough to accommodate meat and marinade with a little room left over (one gallon Zip-Lock freezer bags are ideal for this). Pour marinade over meat, mix well, and refrigerate.  Marinate for between one and five days, turning the meat occasionally by either stirring it, squeezing the marinade bag, or (if you have a Tupperware marinater or the like) flipping and/or shaking the container. 

Skewer the meat fairly "tightly" to preserve moisture and tenderness during grilling. Grill 10 to 12 minutes over hot coals until done, turning 3 times so that each side gets some time on the fire.  Serve on Italian bread by grasping and wrapping the spiedie with the bread and pulling the skewer out.

Substitutions and notes:

- This recipe calls for spearmint, however, you may use peppermint or wintergreen or whatever wild mint is growing in the back of your yard (throw in some catnip if ya want, for all I care!!!) if you happen to like those flavors better.

- You MUST use fresh parsley if at all possible.  Dried parsley has all of the delicate flavor of a Post-It note but is less useful & cannot be written on.

- If you have fresh herbs, you may substitute these wherever possible.  Use double the referenced amount (e.g. use 2 tsp chopped fresh basil rather than 1 tsp. dried basil).

- Alter the quantity of garlic to taste. I am a big fan of the stinkin' rose, and therefore use large quantities of garlic in my marinade.  Eight medium cloves generally balances flavor and social acceptability fairly well. Those who do not wish to smell like the north side of Endicott the next day may cut the garlic in half.

- Adjust salt to taste. I tend to allow the nonjudicious use of garlic to compensate for the salt and use a bit less than called for above.

- Keep in mind that olive oil likes to solidify when refrigerated, so the occasional shaking of the marinated is needed to keep it all liquid.
    Steve 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Thanks. Sounds like a type of kabab,  I guess?  Will try them out sometime. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • YEMTrey
    Yes.  Like a kabob I guess.  Wife will take them off the skewers and eat them with rice or potatoes.  I'll make them for gameday and put them on bread with some fresh provolone.  Tasty and juicy either way.
    Steve 

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    edited December 2013
    A kebab with just marinated meat served on a crusty Italian roll. When done right they are delicious. I can get bottled 'Spiedie' marinade in Central PA, but it is way too salty. @YEMTrey recipe is similar to the one I use (although no mint in mine). Learned to love these living just below the NY border, between Binghamton and Elmira, NY. If you get a chance try making them. You won't be disappointed. Thanks YEMTrey for reminding me of these.
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    @Mattman3969, I cooked it indirect at 350. Didn't do anything to the bird other than apply Plowboys Yardbird to it.

I think I would bump the temp to 375 or so. I bet that will give you what you are looking for.
    I am at the point where I will cook a Turkey breast before I will a chicken. We like turkey meat better and if I want dark meat I will throw on a thigh or legs.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.