Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT -- Liquor find

All,

My Father-In-Law passed away in late October, and my family and I spent the Thanksgiving week up in Central Kentucky with my Mother-In-Law.  While we were up there we were going through his office (he was a collector of lots of different things) and we found some old bottles of liquor.  Three bottles caught my eye. The first is a 750ml bottle of 95.5 proof Pusser's Rum with which my wife said she remembers seeing for as long as she can remember.  It has paper tax stamp in tact with a date of 1968.  The second is a bottle of 8 year old Wild Turkey 101 proof.  It too has a paper ATF tax stamp on it but there's no date on it.  However, if you look in the picture, you can see that some of the bourbon has evaporated away.  I'm guessing that it is as old as the Pusser's.  Lastly there's 375ml bottle of 112 proof Wild Turkey Rare Breed dated 4/25/94.  The other bottles seem to be pretty run of the mill.

So, I guess my questions are as follows:  Are there collectors out there willing to purchase old bottles like these?  Do they age in the bottle like a fine wine?  Should I be concerned about the Wild Turkey evaporating away?  Or should I enjoy them and toast the memory my FIL? The funny thing is that I never saw him drink a drop in his life. 

Franklin, TN
Large BGE+PSWoo2

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    I don't believe they age like wine once bottled. My vote goes for enjoying them and toasting your FIL, at the Least for giving you a fine woman to marry.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • The liquor dose not age in the bottle it only ages in the barrel or cask as far as selling to a collector maybe but I would serve it at a memorial service for your father in law
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    They may not age, but I don't think they go bad either. Toasting Dad with a 20 yo bottle of his Wild Turkey would be a nice gesture.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited December 2013
    Know the Pusser, standard stuff in Canada, great sipping rum, about $40 a bottle. 
    Raise a glass to the FIL, fill it with his favourite. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Probably not much of a market on those bottles so drink up and enjoy!

Contrary to what a lot of people think, hard liquor does "age" in the bottle, a very little bit.  Even a sealed bottle over time will evaporate some of the alcohol, very very slowly, resulting in a product that has more flavor and is a little more mellow. Are those bottles all sealed?  
    I've had a number of napolean era cognac bottles and some very old maderia bottles where the level was well below the shoulders. 
    "Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
     Brillat-Savarin
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I always tell my wife it evaporates... Quickly
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • There is a strong JD collectors market out there. You could find some of the pages on FB and post that pic and get a value.
  • Thanks guys.  I guess I'll just enjoy them the way they were intended to be enjoyed.  No use for them sitting on a shelf.  Cheers!
    Franklin, TN
    Large BGE+PSWoo2
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    We opened a twenty five year old bottle of crown royal at our wedding a few years back. It definitely didn't mellow!! Yuck.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    edited December 2013
    Drink it as the others have said. BTW here is a bottle of Duty Free Drambuie bottled in 1968 that is still a delight which I enjoy in an occasional Rusty Nail...that's just straight up Drambuie and Scotch.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.