Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reverse sear flank steak?

Options
Looking to do a flank tonight. Never tried a reverse sear on this cut. Suggestions? 1.5-2lb and I want it medium rare at the thickest, medium at the edges. Or is this cut better suited for a redneck sous vide?
In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating

Comments

• Hoov
    Hoov Posts: 264
    Options
    I would just grill it up hot and fast, but you could probably get better wall to wall medium rare with hot tubbing. I'm not sure how the reverse sear would work on a flank, I usually use it for steaks 1.5 inches and larger. Maybe someone with more experience will chime in soon. Best to you!
    - Proud owner of a Large BGE
    - Norman, OK
  • Cymbaline65
    Options
    Thanks, Hoov. Your answer was what I was anticipating. Unless the masters out there advise otherwise, hot tubbin' may be the way...
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • Hoov
    Options
    Yeah, I rarely bother with plastic bags and hot tubbing, but some swear by it. For me, if it is less than 1.5 inches I will grill at around 500, greater than 1.5 inches gets reverse sear or TRex depending on my mood.
    - Norman, OK
  • Cymbaline65
    Options

Quite frankly, I've NEVER done a reverse sear but only through reading the posts here it has peeked my attention. I'm tempted to hot-tub tonight just to see how well it works.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    I'm thinking even starting at room temp, by the time you get a good sear and rest on that puppy, it will be done. Any more cooking could be counter-productive.

Whatever you do, enjoy that succulent piece o' beef!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    Options
    IMHO, I think that is to small for a reverse sear. I would probably grill direct at 500-600 until done.
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

• Cymbaline65
    Options

So it seems a more traditional approach is gaining momentum here. I normally season/marinate in the fridge and put directly on a super hot CI grate (550-600 deg) in order to keep it on long enough to get the sear but keep the center as cool as possible.

So Nature Boy, what DP seasoning would you suggest?

• Cymbaline65
    Options
    Still tempted to SV anyway, just to give it a whirl. Regardless, pics will be posted.
  • Hoov
    Options
    Marinate in lime juice and do fajitas!
    - Norman, OK
  • Cymbaline65
    Options
    I'm actually using my Weber Command of the Grill cookbook. M1A1 Battle Steaks. Proceeds go to wounded vets and the recipes are very good too.
  • butert
    butert Posts: 202
    Options
    @hoov, can you explain the reverse sear process?  I'm new to that concept but it seems a lot of people are using it.
    Cooking on a XL BGE from Allendale, Mi.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    edited December 2013
    Options
    @ butert Cook your steak indirect at 250-300 to within 10-15 degrees of your desired finish IT. Remove steak and cover, while you remove grid and raise temp to 600 or so. Sear steak down low with a CI grid or griddle for 1-1/2 to 2 minutes a side, depending on thickness, check for your finish temp, if not done enough put it back on for a little.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • butert
    butert Posts: 202
    Options
    Thanks @billyray, does that work for burgers also or just mainly used for steaks?
    Cooking on a XL BGE from Allendale, Mi.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    Not necessary for burgers, cook them hot and fast. Besides steaks, I use this method on roasts also.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options

So it seems a more traditional approach is gaining momentum here. I normally season/marinate in the fridge and put directly on a super hot CI grate (550-600 deg) in order to keep it on long enough to get the sear but keep the center as cool as possible.

So Nature Boy, what DP seasoning would you suggest?

Cosmic Cow, Raising the Steaks or Fajitaish! Cheers!
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ