Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HELP - Brisket cookin - need advice

Options
A CyberQ wifi will be a perfect Xmas gift I see from my experience today.  But that doesn't help me at the moment.  I've tried three briskets over the last 2 months with mixed success.

This morning, I put a 5lbs brisket on the BGE with the plate setter on, water/drip pan and targeting 250 for a long slow cook.  I started this morning at 5:45 and it's been on now for 3:30 mins now.  It has already hit an internal temp of 183 at this rate I'll be at 195 pretty quick.  Typically I thought it should take 10 hours or so.  I'm in the process of backing down the heat to slow it down the cook for a longer time.  

My grill grate temp is at 225, my BGE dome is at 250ish and my heat probe in the brisket is at 181 and I have guests coming at 6:00 tonight.

I'm open to any suggestions!

Thank you!

Comments

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options

Take a breath.  Sometimes the stall doesn't hit until near 190 degrees.  Once you get to 195 start probing the brisket in different places every 15 minutes or so until the probe goes in and comes out like going though butter. Even if it gets done early, just foil, wrap in towels and hold in your cooler until ready to eat.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• s_austin_egger
    Options
    It can take a very long time to get from 183 to ready.  I wouldn't stress about it.  You are actually in good shape. Nothing worse than having hungry guests waiting for a brisket that just won't finish. 
  • SmokinOutBack
    Options
    10 hours is a long time for a 5 pounder. I would keep your temp from going over 225 and just let it finish slowly. When you pull it, put a bit of beef broth in the foil to keep it moist and you'll be fine.
    Cherry Hill, NJ
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    I have only done 3 Briskys and never got a handle on any of them, I believe 250 dome / 225 grate is your friend at this point in the game. Is it to early to ask for a slice....
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • Billybob_KY
    Options
    Thank you everyone that jumped in on my moment of need.  Not sure what happend, but ultimately the brisket dropped down to about 168ish, then took hours to hit the needed 195.  After it hit 195, I then put it in foil for about an hour.  It turned out AWESOME!

Thank you again for all your feedback and insights!

• s_austin_egger
    Options
    That's great. Glad it turned out well. Next time take pics!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Thank you everyone that jumped in on my moment of need.  Not sure what happend, but ultimately the brisket dropped down to about 168ish, then took hours to hit the needed 195.  After it hit 195, I then put it in foil for about an hour.  It turned out AWESOME!

Thank you again for all your feedback and insights!

That is actually exactly what is supposed to happen.The temps stall out or actually go down while the brisket loses all of its liquid. As part of that process, all the connective tissues in briskets and butts turn to collagen in a sense "rehydrating" meat while making it fork tender. Most brisket newbies don't get this step right the first few cooks. Sounds like you nailed it. same goes for pork butts just so you know.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX