Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

For those that Over-Smoked their Turkey...

Options
For those that over-smoked their turkey... how much smoke and what type of wood did you use? Am doing a post-Thanksgiving turkey today, and was planning on going with a handful of Apple/Alder chips combo. I've done Turkeys before, and have always gone with a small handful of chips, even though I felt like it could've used more.

Just curious to see where others went wrong in an over smoked turkey, and what the consensus threshold is for an over smoked turkey.

Comments

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    I used one plastic solo cups worth of alder. I cooked it spached, raised and direct at 350-375. 12.2 lbs took exactly 2 hours. Put 1/2 the cup on 5 mins before the bird went on and the other half about 20 mins in to the cook. 12 people present. All but my mom liked the amount of smoke -she said too much. My father said it was the best bird he ever had. Mom did not like that comment. All others said it was perfect. I believe them because last year I used 2x as much and they said it was too much. So either they lied last year or they did this year. Better to go light then too much in my opinion.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of cherry wood for turkey-can't beat the flavor and the skin color.  I use about one good handful of chips throughout the lump load for around a 14-15# bird.  Not overpowering!  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Options
    Used 3 small apple wood chunks - Spatchcocked and it came out great.
    Milton, GA.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Same here. Combine a handful of chips 50/50 cherry/pecan works for me.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    edited December 2013
    Options
    I used 3 handfuls of apple chips and I my kids complained it was too smokey.  The adults all liked it though...  Next time I will probably go with two small handfuls.  Stupid kids and their opinions.  Who taught them to rise up against authority??  Oh wait, never mind that was me.
       -Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • Biggins
    Options
    Haha. Hilarious. Thanks everyone. I ended up going with 1.5 handfuls. It was 2/3 Applewood and 1/3 Alder mix. Turkey turned out awesome. But truthfully, the smoke taste was minimal (if at all) with that amount of chips. Did 1 handful last year, 1.5 handfuls this year. So that means 2 handfuls next year.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I used 1 handful of pecan & 1 handful if cherry scattered throughout a firebox of lump and that was for a spatch and a breast, separate cooks and thought it was just right.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    edited December 2013
    Options
    I used cherry and about 3-5 chunks. it was great the first night, but a bit much second night. I'll go with a few less chunks next time.
  • CajunEggHead
    Options
    Just stay away from Hickory or Mesquite or it will be strong with smoke

1 Large Big Green Egg
     1 Weber Kettle
     1 Weber Weber Smokey Mountain 18"
     1 Long Horn Off Set
     1 Bradley Smoker
     1 Weber Silver Gasser
     1 Weber Smokey Joe Small
     1 Orange Thermapen
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    You can over smoke anything, but poultry is especially mild which makes it quite easy to over smoke. Over the years, I've found it is not so much how much wood you use, or whether it is chunks or chips, but rather how long you wait, after putting the wood in, to when you put the food on. I like a fist sized piece of pecan/apple or another relatively mild wood right in the hot coals….cover it up with some more charcoal, and wait at least 30 minutes and up to an hour until the smoke is blue, thin and peppery. Whether it is a handful of chips, 2 and a half handfuls of chips, or a couple chunks, the biggest way to avoid over smoking your bird is to wait until you LOVE the smell of the smoke.

Clean smoke toya!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    I used 6 fist-sized chunks of cherry and it came out perfectly. Best turkey we've ever done.