Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lighting with rubbing alcohol

Options

Comments

• Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options

I use my chimmey on my turkey frying stand if I need to get going quick. Never have fried a turkey on it. I had to find so use for it.

I've only ever used a chimney and have found it extremely reliable...but it doesn't seem very popular...wonder what the drawbacks are?
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    Options
    There was a post a while back on using paper towel and cooking oil and letting it soak . Does anyone remember ? If so can they post it again ? Thanks
    Toronto
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    @pantsypants, I have used that. About a tablespoon of oil, in a rolled up paper towel, bury in the coals and light a corner. works great.

Recently I converted to a chimney placed on top of my gassers side burner. Fast, easy, and makes my gasser useful again.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options

"I've only ever used a chimney and have found it extremely reliable...but it doesn't seem very popular...wonder what the drawbacks are?"

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the chimney.  I have one but I don't use it much.  I guess the main drawback is that you have to light things twice and it takes quite a while.  It takes 20 minutes to get the chimney lit well, then you pour it in the egg and it takes another 20 minutes to get the egg up to temp.  I prefer to just light the egg with 1 (if I'm in no hurry) to as many as 4 (if I want to be cooking in 15 minutes) Rutland firestarters.  It just seems easier to monitor the egg from the beginning than to monitor the chimney and then monitor the egg.

With that being said, on a recent wet, windy, cold (33 Farenheit) camping trip I discovered that it is sometimes not easy/possible to light the Rutland firestarter - so I had to light some paper to get the firestarter going.  That got me thinking about the advantages of paper towels soaked in oil, or bacon grease, or alcohol because they light easily and will get the fire going.  Having a chimney at that time would have been a good option as well.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• cortguitarman
    Options
    I made up a batch of paper towels soaked in oil and used them. They worked great but were messy. The oil got on your hands then the dust from the lump stuck to them and got everywhere.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • laserdoc85
    Options
    ok had to pull the trigger at home depot today for a Mapp torch.
    I tie wrapped it to the side leg of my table
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Options
    I am a fan of the Looft Lighter but have a Mapp Torch on my Christmas List.  HD has a nice looking set-up with an extension hose and a cylinder for about 80 bucks.  The replacement cylinders are $10 each.
    Milton, GA.
  • laserdoc85
    Options
    The kit was $64.97  
    I thought that was a good price for this set up
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • laserdoc85
    Options
    The kit was $64.97  
    I thought that was a good price for this set up
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • krobertsmsn
    Options
    @laserdoc85  Good Job!!! you'll love it. Get a replacement canister at some point, although it will be awhile before needed.
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • laserdoc85
    Options
    Yep just got done using it. Wow you were right.I now love my new toy.
     I used to hate plugging the electric starter in and trying to figure out where to lay it to cool down after I unplugged it. It went in the trash
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Dudes! We're just lighting a couple pieces of lump, right? Think I'll stick with paper towels and vegetable oil.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    Options
    Dudes! We're just lighting a couple pieces of lump, right? Think I'll stick with paper towels and vegetable oil.
    Wheres your man card?!?!?!?!? I'll take the torch!

j/k, but seriously... I like the torch idea!    :D
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

• laserdoc85
    Options
    Guess I just like gadgets. Besides it looks cool strapped to the table leg :)
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • Charlesmaneri
    Options
    I love my torch as I said earlier I have tried all the toys and hans down the torch is the best and fastest imho !!!
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options
    OK, and where do I get mapp gas cylinders ?
    Is this what I need 
    That  is exactly what I have and it works fantastic.  And FYI it works with either MAPP or propane.  I use propane because it's significantly cheaper, about $3 a cannister which lasts months.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• laserdoc85
    Options
    How long will a mapp canister last if I use it 4 or 5 times a month
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    I tried the 91% alcohol trick tonight.......It worked ok, but I'll stick with my Harbor Freight weed burner.
  • SoCal_Griller
    Options
    I just tried the alcohol. I opened up all vents dome open, used my injector to place the alcohol in the lump like in the video. Lit a paper towel and dropped it on the lump. It lit pretty good so closed the dome and the temp only went to abou t 15 and started to drop. So I opened the lid and a few pieces of lump caught.

I went in the house disappointed and prepped the burgers. Came out and a good size fire was burning. I closed the dome and it shot up to 400 in no time. I closed the bottom vent half way and waited a bit. Then it happened. Yeah you know. I burped the egg two or three times and opened the lid and a she spit a huge blue ball of flame! Burnt the hairs on my arms. Did I say it was huge? That does t describe it. Then I started burping again and huge flames shot out the top. I finally got her open and sparks were flying every where. Closed it again it was one of those oh **** moments. It's all good now. Locked in @ 500 solid.

Yeah it works.
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • laserdoc85
    Options
    What causes the ball of flame?
    In 34 years of egging I have never seen this happen
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • SoCal_Griller
    Options
    It's pretty common. It's usually caused by choking off a hot egg and the opening it. The fire is starved for oxygen cause you choked it by closing the vents. When you open the lid, the sudden rush of oxygen causes a flash of flame. But n this. se it was blue do to the alcohol burning.
    Simi Valley, California
  • krobertsmsn
    Options
    @laserdoc85 -your canister will last months. I'm on about 14 months with about the same freq you posted.
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • laserdoc85
    Options
    But it closed the bottom half way. You did not close the top and the bottom was not closed all the way. Just trying to avoid this mishap myself
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • SoCal_Griller
    Options
    Sorry for not being clear. I closed the dome and then the bottom vent half way. Starving the fire of oxygen.
    Simi Valley, California
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options

Sorry for not being clear. I closed the dome and then the bottom vent half way. Starving the fire of oxygen.

right, it's essentially the fire going for the oxygen, flame roll out
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I am looking at these MAP torches.  HD has a TS8000KC for $50 that includes a MAP cylinder. Says it gets 30% hotter than the TS4000 referenced above, and way hotter than if you use Propane as fuel.

So what do I need?  Just Propane, or should I spend the $50 and get this MAP torch.  Watched a video of a guy lighting lump with a torch like this, it does not appear the hose kit is needed.

BTW I have been using a Chimney all along, but this does look fast and convenient.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Loosemoose
    Options
    Cookinbob said:

I am looking at these MAP torches.  HD has a TS8000KC for $50 that includes a MAP cylinder. Says it gets 30% hotter than the TS4000 referenced above, and way hotter than if you use Propane as fuel.

So what do I need?  Just Propane, or should I spend the $50 and get this MAP torch.  Watched a video of a guy lighting lump with a torch like this, it does not appear the hose kit is needed.

BTW I have been using a Chimney all along, but this does look fast and convenient.

The hose kit would be nice but not necessary. I light mine without the hose kit all the time. I do have to relight the torch a couple of time though.
    I use propane and it works fine.

Nowhere Indiana
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    me personally I have tried all the lighting implements BGE electric starter BGE fire starters the Looft lighter and my favorite Mapp gas torch and in  my opinion the Mapp gas is the fastest and most convenient no extension cord  no fuss no mess just ignite the torch point at lump hold on same spot for 30 to 40 seconds and your ready to rock 
    For those that may be confused, true MAPP Gas is no longer in production in the USA. Products labeled as MAPP are not true MAPP gas, and are simply a substitute.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    I'm just a propane campfire lighter guy. Stick it in for a few minutes and its going. I do like the oiled towel method too but I have even used plain old newspaper on fresh lump when not in a hurry. I use a chimney for briquettes on the Weber at the cottage and it works great but that's when I want hot coals for a steak or something. We don't usually do low and slow on the weber. More of a hot and drunk method at the cottage.
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    Options
    So ... Mapp torch or looflighter ??
    Toronto