Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

great SmokeWare promo for Christmas

Options

Comments

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    +1 with what @RRP says.  I just love mine, and I'm anxious for Matt to start producing them for the mini....................I want one of them also.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Come get it.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Proser
    Proser Posts: 271
    Options
    Another positive vote for the SmokeWare cap. I only used my DFMT/ceramic cap combo for about a week when I thought there has to be a better way. Sure enough the SmokeWare was the answer for me
    Arlington, TX  1 large, 1 medium, 1 Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

Just got email from Matt and he stated that startup tooling costs make it impossible to turn a profit. And I can see that.

So I asked if a reducer or sleeve of some sort would be an option. We will see.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I'll give it another rip before @lakewade tries it out. Turkey breast image
  • Little Steven
    Options
    If you hold your phone vertical, I won't have to hurt my neck to look.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I spend my life worried about your neck, princess.

Wade- come get it.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    So after attempt #2- it's definitely not my deal. Guess I'm Just used to the DFMT. mine is not rusted after 8 years uncovered (4 in the WI snow, rain, and 5 in the TX heat). It does not change settings or fall off when I open the dome. If yours does, you aren't using it right.

Well built product but I don't see the value in it for me.

Lakewade just got him a free smokeware cap.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    edited November 2013
    Options

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    Sorry, wrong thread.

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Nicholas_Wetton
    Options
    Sorry, but what does DFMT stand for?
    Bronxville, New York. XLBGE, MBGE
  • laserdoc85
    Options
    I have used the daisy wheel for 33 years. Never had a problem with it. My egg is on a covered porch so Im not worried about cook I g in bad weather. I put this on an Xmas list because I think it looks cool and adds a touch of class to the egg. I have no idea if I will like it or how it vents compared to good ol daisy
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I love my ss cap.  Was always worried that someone visiting would fling open the egg and launch the ceramic cap.  The daisy will change ssttings depending on how freely it swings and whether you remember to align the screws perpendicular to the hinge at the back or not. I learned how to bbq on a drum smoker where the temp is adjusted by the intake only, so the daisy added another layer of complexity.  Plus it bugged me to have to switch between the ceramic cap and daisy.  It gives me inner peace to not have to switch back and forth,  or worry about the ceramic cap breaking. So far its been easy to keep temps 250 and above,  which is about the lowest temp I cook at. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Sorry, but what does DFMT stand for?
    Dual Function metal Top (the cast iron contraption that comes with your egg)
  • dugdbug
    dugdbug Posts: 244
    Options
    I got mine in April or May and continue to use it. I like both. I am wondering however if I am the only one whose gasket melted all over the dome in the first week?
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    edited November 2013
    Options
    dugdbug said:
    I got mine in April or May and continue to use it. I like both. I am wondering however if I am the only one whose gasket melted all over the dome in the first week?
    no, probably not - but since then Matt switched to a piece of Nomex so that's not an issue anymore. Also there are two schools of thought where the gasket should be applied. A) on the neck of the dome itself or B) on the side of the SmokeWare cap male portion. Personally I went with the male portion. that way when I do a burnout my gasket is removed and out of harms way!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    Options

Cool!  Thanks.

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    lakewade said:

Cool!  Thanks.

You will need a foot of gasket or so. I may have some lying around. I'll bring it over tomorrow.
  • RRP
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Just butting in here, but just a foot of gasket won't hack it. The circumference needed is more like 16 to 18" depending on the brand of gasket.
  • RRP
    Options
    Do they come with that rubber tab or do you have to order it when you order the vent?
    I just heard from Matt and as I thought that tab cover now comes standard on a new SmokeWare cap.
  • krobertsmsn
    Options
    How do I get the tab covers for my 2 new covers? Mine did not have them....
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    If you bought yours before the tabs became standard, they're available separately.  Check their website.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • RRP
    Options
    How do I get the tab covers for my 2 new covers? Mine did not have them....
    Write back right now and ask! BTW they are tiny...did you overlook them as I believe they were in a separate little plastic package.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Hotch said:

Just got email from Matt and he stated that startup tooling costs make it impossible to turn a profit. And I can see that.

So I asked if a reducer or sleeve of some sort would be an option. We will see.

There's just not enough mini and smalls out there.  Of the hundreds of fire grates I've sold in the last year, less than a dozen were for the small/mini.  I'm able to nest a few them into the CNC machine's pattern on each sheet, so it's not that bad to sacrifice a couple larges to have them available.  But, just like my buddy Matt, I would lose a ton of money on making a special run just for smalls.

People will spend $30-40 on a Large BGE they paid upwards of a grand for......it's another story dropping that kind of money on Small BGE that was less than half that.

• mcook
    mcook Posts: 14
    Options
    Santa worked today. Broke my ceramic BGE top and ordered the Smokeware.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I just don't use anything and can't see a reason to start. I think that is the one Darren is bringing some 20% discount tickets to Salado this weekend. If you are coming look for PhotoEgg and save a buck or two.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    HAd pretty good discount at Georgia last year.  May get one there, if they are one of the vendors.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    HAd pretty good discount at Georgia last year.  May get one there, if they are one of the vendors.
    They'll be here, Joan.......and, with a special edition Smokeware cap!! :)
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    @egret, how special? Mini-special?
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options