Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

An Egghead's dream week

Options
Bobby-Q
Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Wow what a week (actually more than a week)[p]Started last Friday with an awesome group of folks coming over for lunch followed by the meeet and greet Friday night.[p]Woke up to the best Eggtoberfest yet on Saturday. The Afterparty was one for the record books to say the least. We were so big this time we had to use the Picadilly parking lot next door.[p]Sunday afternoon Nature Boy arrived at my house to stay until the Jack. We got to spend some great time together cooking and hanging out and getting stuff that they needed for the Jack. [p]Had a great dinner with Nature Boy and Dr. BBQ one night and dinner with nature Boy and Djm5x9 the next night.[p]Thursday morning I headed up for the Jack Daniels World Invitational Barbecue Championship, more properly known as "The Jack". I went there to help out the Dizzy pig Team (help as in stay out of the way and let the masters work) and also to help the BGE guys who were there as a sponsor of the entire event.[p]From a BBQ competition fan's point of view and from a BBQ competitor's point of view the Jack is like the World Series and the Superbowl pushed together into one big tasty smokey package. For me to be able to go and hang out right smack in the middle of it was like sitting in the dugout of game 7 of the World Series. My particular part in baseball terms would be the righty they announced in the on deck circle to run the pitcher and then sent back to the bench for the lefty that can actually hit.[p]I also got to hang out with Jim and John and Lou which is always a blast and had the special bonus of getting to hang out with Dr. BBQ while he was there showing off the Eggs and highlighting the amazing food they can do.[p]It just doesn't get much better than that from an Egghead's point of view. It's an honor and a priviledge to know and have the chance to help and hang out with these guys at the best BBQ event in the world.[p]Chris, Kenny, John, Chuck, and Tony are some of the coolest folks on the planet and I want to thank them all for letting me come and experience the better life.

Comments

• JDOTR
    JDOTR Posts: 85
    Options
    Bobby-Q,
    It was great to meet you! You're right about there being something special about "The Jack". Congrats to Chris, Kenny, John, Chuck, and Tony. Way to go guys...
    Chet

• DobieDad
    DobieDad Posts: 502
    Options
    ... from last Thursday.[p]You've been busy! Sounds like great fun![p]DD[p]

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Bobby-Q,
    It was great seeing you at Eggtoberfest and the after party.
    Larry

• Bobby-Q
    Options
    DobieDad,
    Could you send me another copy of whatever you sent me please?[p]I have a spam filter and it really doesn't like sbcglobal addys.[p]I added your profile e-mail to my friend's list so it should go through fine now.[p]I'm still disappointed you weren't able to make it down for Eggtoberfest, but hopefully we can meet up in Waldorf again this year.

• Bobby-Q
    Options
    Bobby-Q,
    I forgot to mention how cool it was to get to meet some of the teams I had never met before and to spend some more time with the folks I laready knew.[p]Got to meet and spend some quality time with the Squeal of Approval gals from the All Star BBQ Showdown (Betsy, Allison and Lana). Hopefully Allison will be posting here soon as she bought an Egg yesterday and I sent her this way. Also got to meet the En Fuego guys from the show as well...they won Backyard Ribs and cook on Eggs now.[p]Also forgot to mention how cool it was to meet the CoBros guys finally and PappQ as well as a lot of the folks from the other forum. That's the cool thing about hanging out with Chris and the guys...they know everyone. [p]A special thank you goes out to USA Doug for not crashing and killing us while riding in his Cart. We must have been hitting about 40 MPH in that thing when we hit the bump next to the State Troopers and the beer sloshed everywhere...not a good thing in a dry county!!...lmao

• Bobby-Q
    Options
    JDOTR,
    It was great meeting you and your brother!![p]Have you considered changing your handle to "Bear Claws"?[p]lol

• Bobby-Q
    Options
    YB,
    It's always nice to see you and your lovely wife and daughter whenever I can Larry. I'm looking forward to the next visit...y'all coming over to Douglas or not...I can't remember if you had mentioned that or not.

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Options
    IMG_1009_1.jpg
    <p />Bobby-Q,[p]did you mean PappaQ? I've met him a few times. Great Guy[p]Scott

• Bobby-Q
    Options
    eggor,
    That's the very one I was referring to. Super friendly guy and great to be around.

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Bobby-Q,
    I don't know if we can make it this year.
    Larry

• DobieDad
    DobieDad Posts: 502
    Options
    Bobby-Q,[p]Just sent a copy of the email. My addy on my profile is correct.[p]DD
  • Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    Bobby-Q,[p]Just walked in the door a few minutes ago and man am I dog tired. What a weekend (plus) huh? Thanks for the kind words and the help you gave us at the Jack. I am sure I speak for the rest of the team in saying that it was great having you there and for me personally it was great to meet you. I would have loved to have had more time to just hang and talk but it's amazing how fast 4 days go by.[p]Hope to see you again before too long.[p]Chuck

• Co-Bro-Q2
    Options
    Bobby-Q,[p]Great meeting you at the Dizzy Pig site. Your right about the comparisons of the Jack to the World Seris/Super Bowl. Finally getting to meet your fellow BBQ buddies in person is really cool. Hanging out with Dr. BBQ at the DP site and talking about his plans for 2006 was neat. [p]Congrats to the Dizzy Pig teams at the Jack and thanks for the EGG snacks on Friday night...even Woo Doggies stew concoction was a treat. Good to meet the whole DP gang (Chris, Kenny, John, Chuck, etc)...thanks for the hospitality...even that week old or so ribeye was tasty with that Cowlick stuff sprinkled on it.[p]Good luck Bobby-Q with your endevours with BGE if you decide to make the career change !!![p]Kirk[p]
    www.co-bros.com

[ul][li]http://www.co-bros.com[/ul]
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Yo Bobby!
    Just woke up from 11 solid hours of well earned snoozage![p]Great recap there dude. I really enjoyed hangin with you, and greatly appreciate all of your generous help. It was really nice to have a place to hang, and a base camp to get stuff together while I was on the road.[p]Gotta get the girls up and off to school, and catch up on a few things (like unloading the coolers and cleaning up the wet stuff)....returning some calls and emails.[p]A quick recap before I run.....
    The Dizzy Pig guys had fantastic support from BGE (as usual), and I was so proud of the way our team worked together. We really expected to damn near win this thing with the food we turned in. Just goes to show you this really IS the World Championships. Here is a quick rundown......[p]66 teams
    42nd Chicken
    39th Ribs
    44th Pork
    20th Brisket
    37th Overall with 623.999 total points.[p]We improved over our 44th place finish last year, and got our first Jug trophy for a 5th place in the Sauce category with a sauce I have been working on. Hatch cooked a pumpkin cheesecake that took 37th place among some incredible magazine cover looking desserts![p]Ooops....getting late. Gotta wake the kids!
    Thanks again dude.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Adrian B.
    Adrian B. Posts: 124
    Options
    Bobby-Q,
    Even as a spectator, it is like going to the World Series. And this year was even better than last! The weather made it perfect, which brought out throngs of people. I couldn't believe the lines for buying food at the front. Even the sample lines were longish. My wife and I got to sample some good ribs here and there, and we bought some Dizzy Pig Raging River from the Dizzy Canucks. I also got to meet Dr BBQ in person finally, which was a treat. [p]Wish we could've stayed longer and met more folks, but we had some other stuff going on. [p]Cheers, Adrian

• Nessmuk
    Nessmuk Posts: 251
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    By now I am certain that you are consistantly producing an excellent product. This is the contest phase of the event.[p]Now, the game changes. When you turn your products in, the event changes from a contest to a "game of chance" i.e., your score depends on the table of judges you get.[p]Even with trained judges/raters, there are 3 categories; i.e., hard graders, middle of the road & high graders. It does't matter what people are judging, they fall into those 3 categories.[p]Add to the mix, untrained judges, judges recruited for judges, judges that seldom judge & those that came to eat.[p]Frightening & sobering considering all the work & money you put into the event that began as a contest.[p]An original sin commited by the KCBS is that they provide no feedback to the judges. This violates the communication model. Judges should receive a report of how they & the other 5 judges rated.[p]Nessmuk,[p]