Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lighting with rubbing alcohol

Options
Stopped by Walmart and picked up 91% alcohol. Tried lighting the egg with it and the flame died before the lump was lit. Does the cold weather have an effect on this? I've read that others have been successful with this.
Mark Annville, PA

Comments

• Conneggticut_Yankee
    Options
    I just did the same thing about a week ago with similar results. Others swear by it but Alcohol never got the coals really going. I got impatient and broke out the MAPP torch and all was good. Just have to mind the sparks. 
    Madison, CT
    LBGE June 2013. 

• bakoque
    Options
    I've used this method of lighting with success. Learned a lot from this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWZUrtaEb-U&feature=youtube_gdata_player
  • Charlesmaneri
    Options
    me personally I have tried all the lighting implements BGE electric starter BGE fire starters the Looft lighter and my favorite Mapp gas torch and in  my opinion the Mapp gas is the fastest and most convenient no extension cord  no fuss no mess just ignite the torch point at lump hold on same spot for 30 to 40 seconds and your ready to rock 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    Ive used them all too, except mapp gas. I don't have a mapp torch and they are pricey. Informative video. I'll try again the next time by closing the dome like the video suggested.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    I used alcohol for the first time to light the egg yesterday. Used about 1/2 cup, let it soak in for 20 seconds or so and lit it. With the dome opened it burned pretty big for 2 or 3 minutes. When the flames died out there was only a couple of lumps that were barely lit. It eventually did get going and all was well. Outside temp was 39 degrees. 
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• Charlesmaneri
    Options
    cortguitarman yes the Mapp gas torch is on the pricey side but once you own it  the price goes away all you need to do is buy the Mapp gas and to be honest my gas lasts me about a year so if you figure it out it's not a big price at all if the gas last you about a year if I remember the torch and the 1st tank cost me about $50.00 I just ran out of Mapp gas yesterday not sure what the new tank of gas is but I'm thinking maybe $7 to $8  if this is the case it really is cheap to use 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • bakoque
    Options
    I started using 99% alcohol. Just 1/4 cup, let soak for a minute, open the vents all the way, stand back and drop in a match, close the dome, and watch the thermo rise to 300º in about 15 minutes.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I use a heat gun or mapp torch... Heat gun has no sparks buy takes a while longer
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Loosemoose
    Options
    I use a torch. I have a mapp gas on my work truck and the same torch next to the egg but has propane tank on it and works great.
    I only use the fire starters now when my egg is froze shut.
    Nowhere Indiana
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I tried the 91% alcohol too. Not successful. Went back to my chimney with newspaper. Apparently not the fastest way, but works consistently for me.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • krobertsmsn
    krobertsmsn Posts: 655
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I tried the 91% alcohol trick and freq had to relight because it didn't get going very well. I also tried the Looft lighter but didn't like the need to get an extension cord or the blowing of sparks everywhere. The oil trick was always smokey and performance was not great. The starter cubes worked well for me but my fav by FAR is the Mapp torch. Pricey investment at first-I paid around $80 for the extended tube and 2 canisters last summer. I am still on the first canister, so in the long run, I feel it's best for me. I can blast as many spots as I want andI have more control over the process.
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • Hoov
    Hoov Posts: 264
    Options
    Get a harbor freight weed burner!
    - Proud owner of a Large BGE
    - Norman, OK
  • 30yearegger
    Options
    I use my chimmey on my turkey frying stand if I need to get going quick. Never have fried a turkey on it. I had to find so use for it.
    Easley SC Go! Tigers
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    +1 on MAPP
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • laserdoc85
    Options
    What is the difference between the mapp torch and the regular propane torch head for 10 bucks
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • Charlesmaneri
    Options
    the mapp torch is rated for higher heat mapp burn much hotter than propane 

Long Island N.Y.
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    I've found that when you hold the propane torch upside down to light the egg it will not stay lit. I think it is because the propane is liquid and the gas floats on top. When the torch is upside down, the gas isn't at the flame end. I could be wrong on this one. That's my theory.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • JerkChicken
    Options
    I've used alcohol to light my egg every time without fail. I have noticed at colder tempuratures it is a lot more difficult. That being said, I live in Florida so it isn't much of an issue for me.
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • laserdoc85
    Options
    OK, and where do I get mapp gas cylinders ?
    Is this what I need 
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • Black_Badger
    Options
    Rolled up paper towel and some left over cooking oil. Works every time and costs virtually nothing...
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Buy the pack from lowes...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • krobertsmsn
    Options
    @laserdoc85 Yes, that one will work but I prefer the 8250 series with the 5ft tube. I sit the canister on the ground table or nest and go from there. Mine has a lock so I do not have to hold it in the on position for the sev seconds it takes to light. I really like that feature if lighting 3 spots. They are sold at H Depot and Lowe's.
    Rome, GA
  • Loosemoose
    Loosemoose Posts: 295
    edited November 2013
    Options

What is the difference between the mapp torch and the regular propane torch head for 10 bucks

I've tried mapp and propane. The propane works fine.
    You may have to relight it a couple times( the torch that is)but if the torch has its own igniter it's not a biggie.
    Nowhere Indiana
  • laserdoc85
    Options
    OK thanks
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • laserdoc85
    Options
    Man I do like that 8250.
    Amazon has them for 53 bucks and Lowes is 65
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • krobertsmsn
    Options
    I think that is for just the torch???? I don't see the tank and one of the reviewers also notes that. I bet the tank can't be shipped...Mine came with 1 tank and I bought an extra so I wouldn't be caught without fuel.
    Rome, GA
  • laserdoc85
    laserdoc85 Posts: 577
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Yes that's just the torch. I saw just the torch on the Lowes site also for that 65.
    Home depot site did not list them but I may run by there tomorrow and just check as Lowes is further. Did you get yours at Lowes or home depot
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    instead of rubbing alcohol try vegetable oil.
  • laserdoc85
    Options
    BYS1981 said:
    instead of rubbing alcohol try vegetable oil.
    You just pour like a 1/4 cup on the lump or are you pouring if on a paper towel than burying it under the lump and lighting it?

Jefferson .GA.  
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I pour about a tablespoon of oil into a cup and fold over 2 paper towels and out then in the cup to soak up the oil. I then fan out the towel. when I light it I make a small hole into the lump and cover it with a piece or 2 lump. I've done this method for approx 1 yr with no issues.