Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

POS Maverick

Options
Damn it all.  I need a new remote thermometer.  Or stock up on probes.  This is my second Maverick and I am not happy.  Cooked a turkey 17 lb spatchcocked (tried to at least) and used the maverick to montior the temperature of the bird.  Well it failed me again.  I had the probe into the breast meat and was aiming for 155 for alerting.  Well it stated it reached 160 in about an hour into the cook I said the probe must be too deep.  I moved the probe and it stated the meat was higher than 180.  Then probed again and the probe said 170 than 160 than 130.  I let it ride.  meanwhile all the juice form that side of the turkey are dripping over the hot coals  and flaring up.  You got it - BURNT sides/skin.  Used a thermapen and the temps were 120.  Kept checking the bird every 20-30 minutes making more holes for the juices to flow out - making more flare ups and nasty smoke flavor.  Besides ripping the pit probe wire from all the opening and closing of the Egg.  I run the wires through the top as the Egg has no gasket and when I run the wires between the lid/base there is too much of an air gap for smoke/airflow.

I should have just cooked for 2.5 hours and not touched the bird but no I relied on a $60 thermometer to ruin the cook.  Launching the Maverick into space soon.

Any other better thermometers?  I want a Cyber-Q for Xmas - are the probes any better?  more reliable?

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• laserdoc85
    Options
    Go here for new and improved probes. Call and talk to Steve. He is friends with the owner of Maverick. These are suppose to fix the issues of the probes going out. These are made here in the US not like the original ones were china
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Sorry to hear of the frustration. I've never heard of anyone having success when running the probes through the dome vent. I'm sure there are some, just never heard of them. I'd get a gasket. 
    Maverick replaced the unreliable original 3' probe leads with the much longer probe leads under warranty and it has worked flawlessly ever since. I do foil wrap the leads, pit probe all the way to the dome base junction, food probe for 3" to 4". I do not use the pit probe for direct cooks, ever. 

I have a Thermoworks 8060, twice the price and very accurate - but no wireless capability. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Hoov
    Hoov Posts: 264
    Options
    @Skiddymarker just curious as I read your response. Why aren't people successful when running the probes through the dome vent? I wouldn't think it would make a difference.
    - Proud owner of a Large BGE
    - Norman, OK
  • SeeingSpots
    Options
    To the original poster, be careful.  Some on this board will accuse you of "unfair punishment" on the manufacturer.  You aren't supposed to complain about poor quality, you are just supposed to "give them a chance", indefinitely.    

Flowery Branch, GA  LBGE
  • Charlesmaneri
    Options
    robnybbq I just got the CyberQ and haven't been able to use it as of yet not for lack of trying I can not figure out how to work it you some what have to be a true tecno geek to operate it before I got it I had and still have the BBQ Guru DigiQ dx2  and love it to be honest I wish I would have bought a 2nd DigiQ Dx2 rather then the cyberQ .I'm waiting for my son the Tecno Geek to play with the CyberQ hopefully he will figure it out and show me how to operate it but for all the money I spent on it you would think it would be more user friendly 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    robnybbq I just got the CyberQ and haven't been able to use it as of yet not for lack of trying I can not figure out how to work it you some what have to be a true tecno geek to operate it before I got it I had and still have the BBQ Guru DigiQ dx2  and love it to be honest I wish I would have bought a 2nd DigiQ Dx2 rather then the cyberQ .I'm waiting for my son the Tecno Geek to play with the CyberQ hopefully he will figure it out and show me how to operate it but for all the money I spent on it you would think it would be more user friendly 
    I was never able to figure mine out either.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    My maverick had never worked correctly. I can get it to kinda work but quit using it a while back. I consider it to be a waste of $60. Especially since I quickly realized I didn't need a remote thermometer anyway.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    @robnybbq-Thanks for the post-I have toyed with replacing my Maverick for a couple of years-use a Scientific American thermo with a remote and no issues.  Not as many features but does the job.  Every time I get ready to pull the Maverick trigger someone has an issue.  Sometimes simpler is better.  Just an opinion...FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bettysnephew
    Options

Go here for new and improved probes. Call and talk to Steve. He is friends with the owner of Maverick. These are suppose to fix the issues of the probes going out. These are made here in the US not like the original ones were china

laserdoc do you know anything about the hybrid probes offered on the same site?  I wasn't paying attention and ordered them instead of the waterproof.  For $9.99 each I will not bother to send them back and that way I have a set for when my originals crap out.  Just wondered what the hybrid refers to.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Hoov said:
    @Skiddymarker just curious as I read your response. Why aren't people successful when running the probes through the dome vent? I wouldn't think it would make a difference.
    Only knew of two folks - both had issues and one was my dealer. Don't think it is due to heat being too high, maybe moisture or the way the moisture condensed on the cable? The way the cable bends when it hangs over the edge of the dome vent?

Not much help, all I know is when the cables were run through the felt line, it worked. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Little Steven
    Options
    It's the hottest part of the egg. Even if you're cooking low it's way hot where the gas is escaping.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options

laserdoc do you know anything about the hybrid probes offered on the same site?  I wasn't paying attention and ordered them instead of the waterproof.  For $9.99 each I will not bother to send them back and that way I have a set for when my originals crap out.  Just wondered what the hybrid refers to.

The "Hybrid" probe can be used as either a food or pit probe.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Hoov
    Hoov Posts: 264
    Options

It's the hottest part of the egg. Even if you're cooking low it's way hot where the gas is escaping.

Makes sense. Thanks.

- Proud owner of a Large BGE
    - Norman, OK
  • laserdoc85
    Options

No I do not sorry. I would call them and ask steve
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I will echo @laserdoc85. I bought the aftermarket probes on Amazon that are 6' long and rated near 700* and not had any issues in all most 2yrs. The 6' length is a pain in the a$$ to deal with but no temp or burnout issues so far. I do put a folded up layer of foil between the probe and the fire and only use under 300* and never on a direct cook.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I'm with you Rob. I hate it too and think it is probably the probes. I can't bring myself to invest any more into it.
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options

I was never able to figure mine out either.

@Charlesmaneri ,Little Steven and robnybbq

I have been using the cyberQ for 5-6 weeks with no problems...it probably took an hour or so to set it up but since then it has worked well for me every time. Only issue I had was the email functionality but it turns out that it wasnt on my end and an update is forthcoming to fix it...I'm no expert but I would be happy to share my experience or weigh in...if I can help at all, hit me up.
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...