Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Type of sealant?

Options
So I've noticed a little smoke escaping from around my bottom vent what do you guys recommend for fixing this? 
Hi temp silicon? Does it get that hot down there? Should I remove what's there before applying new stuff?

Jamie.
Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).

Comments

• RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    Options
    Mothership recommends silicone.
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    So I've noticed a little smoke escaping from around my bottom vent what do you guys recommend for fixing this? 
    Hi temp silicon? Does it get that hot down there? Should I remove what's there before applying new stuff?

Jamie.

Jamie, All scilicone is typically heat resistant so no need to buy a special "high temp" for your lower vent. I replaced my vents years ago when they came out with the stainless steel ones. Yes, clean off the old sealant before adding the new. Btw to do it right take it off, don't just squirt some around the edge.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    Is this at low temps or high or both?  When I get smoke coming out of the bottom vent, it is from a high temp fire that is starved of air.  Had that yesterday when I overshot the egg temp when getting ready to do the turkey.  I opened up the dome for a second and get burned by the blowback of fire.  My mistake!

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Some guys egg sans gasket... Can't imagine a little extra ait would hurt.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    henapple said:
    Some guys egg sans gasket... Can't imagine a little extra ait would hurt.
    Actually it was nighttime and I saw an orange glow around the seal but today i realized it was thru the clear silicone already  still there.I am proudly a member of the no gasket club after only 6 months <:-P
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).