Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Funky smell in dutch oven

yzziyzzi Posts: 1,793
I'm not sure what "rancid" is supposed to smell like, but my dutch oven reeked of what smells like gross playdough. So I committed a cast iron felony and have it soaking in soapy water. Hopefully that'll take care of it.
Dunedin, FL
·

Comments

• AviatorAviator Posts: 1,524
    If you have not used it for awhile, yes it will. You did right. Wash oil cook and when done oil it again before you put it away. 

Large and Small BGE, and a baby black Kub.

And all the toys to make me look like a Gizmo Chef.

>:)

Chattanooga, TN.

·
  • Don't all dutch ovens smell funky…?

·
  • Right there with you. Swmbo always complains of the Dutch oven smell!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
    ·
  • My dutch ovens stink too.

...Sorry - I couldn't help myself.
    CC, TX
    1 Small, 1 Large, BGE Lump... and a lot of love.
    ·
  • yzziyzzi Posts: 1,793
    Haha, yeah definitely. I can't believe I didn't even see that one coming.
    Dunedin, FL
    ·
  • soap. scrub. rinse. high heat until dried from inside. season. 
    Beaufort, SC
    ·
    I soaped, scrubbed, threw in the egg to dry and put a seasoning layer of shortening on it. Will check it out when I go back home. I guess it's a sign I need to use it more often.
    Dunedin, FL
    ·
  • Right there with you. Swmbo always complains of the Dutch oven smell!
    The ones you do tonight will :-&

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    I've got a sausage burrito slow cooking since breakfast that'll be nice tonight ;-)
    Dunedin, FL
    ·
  • FWIW, the wife came up with the idea of putting a couple of chop sticks between the kettle and lid to allow air circulation during storage.  Seems to work for us.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
    ·
    Great idea. I'll give that a shot.
    Dunedin, FL
    ·
  • DMWDMW Posts: 6,837
    I always put a paper towel between the lid and the base to absorb any moisture.
    My Facebook Place where I document my cooking
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - Hasty Bake Legacy - Black Stone Pizza Oven - Gasser - 30" Firepit w/SS Cooking Grid
    ·
  • @yzzi, shortening can spoil, right? I season with oil. I'm asking more than recommending...

Beans in the oven! Watch out world!
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
    ·
  • @yzzi, shortening can spoil, right? I season with oil. I'm asking more than recommending... Beans in the oven! Watch out world!

oil can go rancid as well.

·
  • The only way to clean that out without playing with the seasoning is to clean it with lard and salt. Never never never use water and soap.
    ·
    Yeah I know I committed a crime, but it looks like it's good now. Scrubbed it down with some white vinegar and put a new layer of seasoning on. And I tried the chop stick spacer.
    Dunedin, FL
    ·