Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Funky smell in dutch oven

yzziyzzi Posts: 1,793
I'm not sure what "rancid" is supposed to smell like, but my dutch oven reeked of what smells like gross playdough. So I committed a cast iron felony and have it soaking in soapy water. Hopefully that'll take care of it.
Dunedin, FL
·

Comments

• AviatorAviator Posts: 1,519
    If you have not used it for awhile, yes it will. You did right. Wash oil cook and when done oil it again before you put it away. 

Large and Small BGE, and a baby black Kub.

And all the toys to make me look like a Gizmo Chef.

>:)

Chattanooga, TN.

·
  • Don't all dutch ovens smell funky…?

·
  • Right there with you. Swmbo always complains of the Dutch oven smell!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
    ·
  • My dutch ovens stink too.

...Sorry - I couldn't help myself.
    CC, TX
    1 Small, 1 Large, BGE Lump... and a lot of love.
    ·
  • yzziyzzi Posts: 1,793
    Haha, yeah definitely. I can't believe I didn't even see that one coming.
    Dunedin, FL
    ·
  • soap. scrub. rinse. high heat until dried from inside. season. 
    Beaufort, SC
    ·
    I soaped, scrubbed, threw in the egg to dry and put a seasoning layer of shortening on it. Will check it out when I go back home. I guess it's a sign I need to use it more often.
    Dunedin, FL
    ·
  • Right there with you. Swmbo always complains of the Dutch oven smell!
    The ones you do tonight will :-&

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    I've got a sausage burrito slow cooking since breakfast that'll be nice tonight ;-)
    Dunedin, FL
    ·
  • FWIW, the wife came up with the idea of putting a couple of chop sticks between the kettle and lid to allow air circulation during storage.  Seems to work for us.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
    ·
    Great idea. I'll give that a shot.
    Dunedin, FL
    ·
  • DMWDMW Posts: 5,461
    I always put a paper towel between the lid and the base to absorb any moisture.
    My Facebook Place where I document my cooking
    Morgantown, PA
    XL BGE - S BGE - Blackstone Pizza Oven - 30" Steel Fire Pit w/Cooking Grid - Hasty Bake Legacy - KJ Jr - Gasser
    ·
  • @yzzi, shortening can spoil, right? I season with oil. I'm asking more than recommending...

Beans in the oven! Watch out world!
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
    ·
  • @yzzi, shortening can spoil, right? I season with oil. I'm asking more than recommending... Beans in the oven! Watch out world!

oil can go rancid as well.

·
  • The only way to clean that out without playing with the seasoning is to clean it with lard and salt. Never never never use water and soap.
    ·
    Yeah I know I committed a crime, but it looks like it's good now. Scrubbed it down with some white vinegar and put a new layer of seasoning on. And I tried the chop stick spacer.
    Dunedin, FL
    ·