Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A-Maze-N Smoker

I have seen manay posts talking about the A-Maze-N Smoker. Is this just used for cold smoking? Am I correct in understanding that the the heat from the burning pellets and smoke generated is enough to allow a cold smoke of cheese or bacon in the BGE? I have read when doing bacon that it has to have been cured with nitrite first to allow it to cold smoke for such a long time. Could you also use this for smoking fish as well?
Palm City, FL

Comments

• Yes
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • The Amazin smoker is a cold smoke generator and is designed to be used for cold smoking.  Cold smoking is defined as smoking at a temperature no greater than 90F.  So in affect, it will generate smoke with very little heat.  As far as curing with Nitrite prior to cold smoking, it is not technically required, BUT I would definitely recommend using it.  The small amount of Nitrite that is consumed is well worth the trade off of preventing bad bacteria forming.

So the Amazin Smoker can be used for any cold smoking application, Cheese, Meats, Fish etc.

Just make sure you don't try to use it when the ambient temp is above 90F ;)

Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • Luvflt
    Luvflt Posts: 63
    Why does the ambient temp above 90 factor in? Is it becasue the internal smoking temp will get above 90 if it is 90 ambient? Another couple of questions; Which is better if any pellets or dust? If it doesn't make a difference do you have to use a special dust or can you just use small wood chips from any company?
    Palm City, FL
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Pellets seem to be the choice.. I believe they sell 2 different versions... Pellets or dust.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • I have the original Amaz-n smoker that burns sawdust. I haven't upgraded to pellets yet because I still have a few pounds of sawdust left. You can use it with other heat, however the dust version will burn if you go much over 225 degrees. I have smoked ribs, chicken, butts and such in my electric smoker with great success, using the amaz-n smoker as my lone smoke source but prefer charcoal and wood chunks for my usual cooking style. I have done bacon, cheese, nuts etc in the electric without much if any heat. As far as bacon however, definitely cure it or you're just asking for trouble. I smoke bacon for about 12 hours running the electric at about 120 degrees.
    Cherry Hill, NJ
  • Luvflt
    I was planning on just using the A-Maze-N Smoker with my XL BGE to do cold smoking.
    Palm City, FL
  • Someone used this to cold smoke some bacon and I saw the post,,,but I can't find it. Anyone know who did it and the discussion on it? It was really good post
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • Luvflt said:
    Why does the ambient temp above 90 factor in? Is it becasue the internal smoking temp will get above 90 if it is 90 ambient? Another couple of questions; Which is better if any pellets or dust? If it doesn't make a difference do you have to use a special dust or can you just use small wood chips from any company?
    Yes that's the jist of it.  The Amazin will generate a little heat.  But if its 100 outside, it will be hard to keep the dome temp under 90.  I have seen threads where people will place a pan full of ice inside the egg while cold smoking, presumably to keep the temp down. I have never tried that myself.

I just use pellets, cause that's what came with mine.

Have fun!
    Simi Valley, California
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    If it's 100 degrees outside... I hate you
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • That's it! 
    Thanks!
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • lol No, not today, a cool 70.
    Great weather for cold smoking!  Bacon going in this weekend.
    Simi Valley, California
  • Luvflt said:
    Yes that's the jist of it.  The Amazin will generate a little heat.  But if its 100 outside, it will be hard to keep the dome temp under 90.  I have seen threads where people will place a pan full of ice inside the egg while cold smoking, presumably to keep the temp down. I have never tried that myself.

I just use pellets, cause that's what came with mine.

Have fun!
    when it's 100 down here (like 4 months out of the year) I only "cold" smoke at night. i do bacon for 12 hours anyway so I put it in at like 11-12 at night when it's cooled off (sigh)  and take it out the next morning before it gets hot.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Luvflt
    When you do your bacon cold smoke for 12 hours are you looking for an internal temp like if you do a regular smoke. I think it is like 150 degrees if you smoke it at 200-225. I have a couple of slabs that will be going into the BGE tomorrow but I didn't use the nitrite and don't have my smoke generator yet so I will smoke it until it hits 150 but just curious as to what you are looking for when cold smoking bacon time temp or both. Duah it just hit me I guess it can't be an internal temp if you never get over 90 degrees. Ok so what are you looking for just the 12 hour time?
    Palm City, FL
  • laserdoc85
    laserdoc85 Posts: 577
    edited November 2013
    39 F here and a high of 48 .Would be perfect day for a cold smoke :)
    I would not cold smoke for that long without the nitrite cure added to your mix. You may cold smoke it for about 3 hours then pull it and  then add lump and try to set you temp to 150  and then keep it in there until your IT hits around 140. Or transfer the slab to another smoker where you can fine tune the temp like an electric smoker. I have a Bradley smoker than I also use alot
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • Luvflt
    Thanks I get that. My question is when cold smoking anything how do you know how long to smoke it. Is it just rule of thumb i.e. bacon 12 hours cheese 3 hrs. etc. or is there some other thing to take into consideration. I am just trying to learn how long things take.
    Palm City, FL
  • I think you would smoke for your taste. Try some pound pieces at 3 hours,5,8,10 hours to see which one you like. I'm in your same boat on how long to apply smoke. Some say 2 hours some say 10 hours. I guess we both need to try different times and see which one we like.
    I used this cure as it is rated very high. I'm going to do it this way on one belly and then cold smoke the other one on the egg. I added 5 table spoons of apple cider to the mix. Its in the frig for a week
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    You got it @laserdoc85 - try several variations to figure out which one you like best.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Luvflt

Thanks for the info. That was the recipe I used for the bacon I am doing now. I just didn't have any pink salt so I can't use the cold smoke method. Hope to get it in the BGE tomorrow. I should get my cold smoke generator in a few days.

Palm City, FL
  • Bacon without pink salt is just grilled pork belly. It won't taste anything like bacon.
  • Luvflt
    It will be ok. I brined  it for 10 days used salt, brown sugar and maple syrup. Just didn't use nitrite. When smoked it should be fine.
    Palm City, FL
  • pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    If you are cold smoking do you think it's ok to leave the bacon in there for a few hours after the smoke has stopped ?? I am smoking something and it will finish way past my bedtime . Can I just leave it in there until the am or should I set an alarm ? I should say that i am in Toronto so the temp will be well below - Thanks
    Toronto
  • It will be frozen by morning. I would pull it and stick it in the frig
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    Yeah probably the smarter thing to do
    Toronto
  • made up another batch of cure and with a little twist
    5 pounds pork belly
     1/4 cup of kosher salt
    1/4 cup of brown sugar
    2 tsp of insta cure #1
    1/4 cup Honey
    2 Tablespoons of Makers Mark bourbon :)
    In the frin for seven days ! It will be a smokin weekend next weekend !
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832

made up another batch of cure and with a little twist

5 pounds pork belly
     1/4 cup of kosher salt
    1/4 cup of brown sugar
    2 tsp of insta cure #1
    1/4 cup Honey
    2 Tablespoons of Makers Mark bourbon :)
    In the frin for seven days ! It will be a smokin weekend next weekend !
    That sounds really good!
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Luvflt
    Does any one know of a store to buy pink salt/curing salt? None of the supermarkets around here carry it. I know I can get it online but was just curious where most people buy theirs.
    Palm City, FL
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited November 2013
    where do you live? I know academy carries it this time of year on the sausage/jerky aisle. If you have an Academy, go clean them out. It's super cheap. Ifnot, you could check gander mountain/bass pro/cabellas. lots of people make deer sausage this time of year so these types of places carry all the supplies. a good butcher will most likely have it too as many make their own bacon. i buy it at; http://modernistpantry.com when I cant find it local
  • Luvflt
    I live in Florida. No Academy that I am familiar with but we do have a Gander Mtn. and Bass Pro near buy so I can check them out. Thanks for the heads up. I just hate to order online and have to pay as much for shipping as the item costs.
    Palm City, FL
  • jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    If you are on Amazon Prime... It ships for free. :-)
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July