Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

First BGE Turkey

Ok, it's my first turkey on the BGE.  Started about 730.  20lb bird.  Salt, pepper, butter, cavity filled with apples & lemons.  Couple of apple chunks for more flavor.

Comments

• Me too, Hokiejacket. I just put in 2 8-pound turkey breasts. My first attempt very with turkey on my Large BGE. It's 25 degrees in Chicgoland, but spouse to be clear. This is my first cold weather smoke ever. I'll miss sitting by the Egg with drink and cigar in hand. Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving!
    Large BGE 2013; Mini Max 2015
    Naperville, IL
  • Sorry, I don't type well this early. I should try proofing what I write next time.
    Large BGE 2013; Mini Max 2015
    Naperville, IL
  • Good luck to all first timers this Thanksgiving! Hope you can handle being elevated to a new status after everyone gobbles up that bird.

Bluegrass Grills, Versailles, KY

XL, Lg, performer, Q

• CharleyR said:
    Me too, Hokiejacket. I just put in 2 8-pound turkey breasts. My first attempt very with turkey on my Large BGE. It's 25 degrees in Chicgoland, but spouse to be clear. This is my first cold weather smoke ever. I'll miss sitting by the Egg with drink and cigar in hand. Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving!
    Good luck CharleyR.  We will either be hero's or never again's. Happy Thanksgiving.
  • I.5 hour check.
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,504
    Looks nice. What time are you eating?
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

• I've been smoking turkey's for 28 year's on Weber's so this will be my first attempt on my Egg. In the past, I've kept the temp under 150 degrees for 6 hours so the smoke will penetrate and then about 3 hours prior to the target time, I crank it up to 350 and let it finish. It's always turned out wonderful; lots of smoke and really moist.  Let's see if it works again!
    Perry, Georgia
    XL BGE, Weber Performer
  • Mickey said:
    Looks nice. What time are you eating?
    Hopefully by 230.  We are responsible for bird, spuds & stuffing.  Other family does sides, & dessert.
  • corb69corb69 Posts: 149
    Awesome!!!
  • Put mine on at 9:30 here in the mountains of north Ga. Very cold outside but the egg temperature is dead on 350 this is my first egg turkey also. Good luck to all us turkey virgins.
  • Here is the final product. Want to get a smaller bird next year. White meat a little in the dry side.
    image.jpg 2.1M
  • nice color