Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First attempt at homemade sausage... (w/pics)

Options
jtippers
jtippers Posts: 512
edited November 2013 in EggHead Forum
So... after researching different recipes and asking for assistance on this forum, I decided to go with the classic brats recipe that is listed in book titled Charcuterie by Michael Ruhlman and Brian Polcyn. My thoughts on making sausage after this are these:

1) It was a cool experience that was definitely worth doing.
2) It was probably the most labor intensive thing I have done in a kitchen in recent memory.
3) I will do it again... but it may be a while. 

Recipe:
3lbs Pork Shoulder
1lb   Lean Veal Shouler
1lb   Pork Back Fat

40g  Kosher Salt
6g    Ground White Pepper
5g    Ground Ginger
5g    Grated Nutmeg
2      Large Eggs (lightly beaten)
1c    Ice Cold Heavy Cream

I couldn't find veal, so I just used 4lbs of pork shoulder.

Here are the pics of the days events:

Everything is lined up:

Meat is grinded and spices are added:

Meat blended with spices, cream, and eggs:

Casings soaking ready to be stuffed:

Stuffing for the first time:

And finally, the finished product:

I have them sitting in the fridge overnight, I will twist the links and freeze them tomorrow. I will probably cook one tomorrow as well. After I finished, I couldn't bear the thoughts of eating.  L-)
SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

Comments

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    That looks great. Congrats!
    Dunedin, FL
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    Looks awesome my man. So it's ready to cook like a hot dog?? I didn't see any cure or smoke or anything unless I missed it. Something I wanna try one day but it will be a ways down the road.

Was stuffing it the rough part?

XLBGE 
  • jtippers
    Options
    No curing or smoking in this recipe. After I separate the links, they will be ready to cook.

Stuffing was definitely the hardest part. However, if I had purchased a dedicated stuffer, I imagine it would have been much easier.

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    yes to the dedicated stuffer.  i did like 20 pounds like you did and it took me all day.  the grinder makes a suction on the plunger that is hard to explain but I am sure you know what I mean.  However, it makes it hard to eat store bought sausage ever again.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Cool! You made it look easy. Where did you get pork back fat? Butcher or grocery store?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • jtippers
    Options
    I know what you mean about the suction on the plunger... I felt like I was fighting it the whole time.

The back fat came from a butcher, but I called several grocery stores looking for the veal and they all had back fat. You just have to ask for it.