Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

great SmokeWare promo for Christmas

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,895
Just received an email from SmokeWare announcing a Christmas discount of 20% off - That is a great deal! Promo code is SANTA.

Great stocking stuffer!
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Filbert
    Options
    The code doesn't seem to work.  Did it say when it was going to start?

• RRP
    Options
    Filbert said:
    The code doesn't seem to work.  Did it say when it was going to start?

No mention of a date range and I just received the email at 4:11. Sorry...
  • Filbert
    Options
    no worries.  :)
  • RRP
    Options
    Filbert said:
    no worries.  :)

Try it Friday and if it still doesn't work just call Matt - the owner - he's a real stand up guy.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    Great tip Ron, thanks.  I'll bet it's a "Black Friday" code.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • RRP
    Options
    BOWHUNR said:

Mike
    Good point, Mike, or even a Small Business code for Saturday...or even a Cyber Monday code. Any of those will probably be true as Matt is a solid guy IMO and sells a great product. It is BGE's loss to have not embraced his upgrade as an option.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options

So agree, @RRP, I'm just jumping down for him to start making them for the mini, so I can have one for each egg! 

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    edited November 2013
    Options
    RRP said:
    BOWHUNR said:

Mike
    Good point, Mike, or even a Small Business code for Saturday...or even a Cyber Monday code. Any of those will probably be true as Matt is a solid guy IMO and sells a great product. It is BGE's loss to have not embraced his upgrade as an option.
    A Smokeware Stainless Cap, a High-Que fire grate and a Rutland gasket would go a long ways toward having the perfect out of the box ceramic cooker!  Like you, I can't understand why BGE doesn't jump all over some of these after market upgrades that most ALL of us buy.

Mike

PS  They need to make the lower vent on the small BGE bigger too.  Bet they've never heard that before.
    :D

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • radamo
    radamo Posts: 373
    Options
    RRP said:
    Just received an email from SmokeWare announcing a Christmas discount of 20% off - That is a great deal! Promo code is SANTA.

Great stocking stuffer!
    Thanks for the heads up.  I have been wanting one of these.
    Long Island, NY
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    The code is working now.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

@RRP, what is your experience been with this since you have used it for awhile?

I mostly do low and slow, 225-275 and 350-425 cooks.

And can I just pull the top and use the lower vent on high temps say 700-900?

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • laserdoc85
    Options
    Do they come with that rubber tab or do you have to order it when you order the vent?
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I hate to be a Debbie Downer but I don't like mine. I just find it makes it much more difficult to control temps and especially keep temps down. I did my ham the other day and I overshot the temp (my bad). So I shut the cap and shut the draft door and 2 hrs later it was still at 300. I took it off and put the DFMT on and my temps were stable at 225 in 20 minutes. I was up until 2:30 am messing with my ham because I couldn't reliably hold the temps with my smokeware cap. It seems you give up so many more available of the micro adjustments that you can do on the DFMT too. I really wanted to like it but I'm pulling the gasket off my chimney and going back to the DFMT. I can use it with my eyes closed and it is so much more sensitive to small adjustments. 

I guess that's just what I'm used to but I don't see the need to learn a new system after perfecting one for 9 years.

I don't live in inclement weather so maybe it's a help for guys who do. I've cooked in downpours with the DFMT with no problems though.

I'm not saying not to get one. You may love it so for $40 you can't go wrong trying one. But for me, I prefer the old school daisy. 

Smokeware cap for sale...cheap :)) (kidding- I'll give it to another of my egger friends to try- they may love it)

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I hate to be a Debbie Downer but I don't like mine. I just find it makes it much more difficult to control temps and especially keep temps down. I did my ham the other day and I overshot the temp (my bad). So I shut the cap and shut the draft door and 2 hrs later it was still at 300. I took it off and put the DFMT on and my temps were stable at 225 in 20 minutes. I was up until 2:30 am messing with my ham because I couldn't reliably hold the temps with my smokeware cap. It seems you give up so many more available of the micro adjustments that you can do on the DFMT too. I really wanted to like it but I'm pulling the gasket off my chimney and going back to the DFMT. I can use it with my eyes closed and it is so much more sensitive to small adjustments. 

I guess that's just what I'm used to but I don't see the need to learn a new system after perfecting one for 9 years.

I don't live in inclement weather so maybe it's a help for guys who do. I've cooked in downpours with the DFMT with no problems though.

I'm not saying not to get one. You may love it so for $40 you can't go wrong trying one. But for me, I prefer the old school daisy. 

Smokeware cap for sale...cheap :)) (kidding- I'll give it to another of my egger friends to try- they may love it)

Debbie, Can you please define inclement weather?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    Options
    RRP!
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited November 2013
    Options

Debbie, Can you please define inclement weather?
    I guess 108 degrees for 4 months could be considered inclement for people who unplug their garage freezers in the winter so they don't defrost.

it never rains here so I don't need a cap to keep the rain out. I'll just cook the next day when it's sunny and warm
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I've never had a problem with rain, snow or sleet. I would have said hail but I tend not to cook in hailstorms.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Hotch
    Options
    Well I'll try it for $40.00. If it's not for me, I have 2 neighbors with LBGE's and one of them may get happy.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Hotch said:
    Well I'll try it for $40.00. If it's not for me, I have 2 neighbors with LBGE's and one of them may get happy.
    That's exactly the way I felt about it. I tried it (and I'm glad I did) and found it wasn't for me. I can tell you this- it's built very well and very much worth the $40 if you decide you like it. It's not that I feel that it's a bad product- it's not by a long shot. Just not for me.
  • Hotch
    Options

Although I would like to see one for my Mini. I am afraid that either cap may fall off when I use it so I always pull them before I open it.

I did find the screw was too long and created a rocking/pivot point on the daisy wheel. Fixed it by adding a couple of washers.

BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • RRP
    Options
    To each his own, but I first bought mine back in May and have not stopped using it since then. I love it and I didn't even sense there was a learning curve after the very first cook! Perhaps if someone is alternating back and forth it might cause an issue, but I bought it to use it and have done so.

As for the question about the little tab - I believe they come with it standard now, but you might ask. One word of caution is being metal this cap gets extremely hot and can burn you if touched. As for the question about very high temperatures I just take the top dome piece off and leave the throat piece in place.

My advice is buy it...you'll love it!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    Options
    As @Cen_Tex notes, I'm good with the DFMT and too old to learn new tricks.  But to each his/her own-  YMMV-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Charlesmaneri
    Options
    RRP how does it differ from the DFMT other then it will not allow rain in ?
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • RRP
    edited November 2013
    Options
    RRP how does it differ from the DFMT other then it will not allow rain in ?
    Being made of the same stainless steel as your bottom vent it will not rust so that problem is resolved forever, plus let's face it - it looks cooler than a rusted DFMT! LOL
  • Charlesmaneri
    Options
    RRP as far as a rusted DFMT mine has not rusted I usually give it a coat of olive oil after the cook when everything is cool before I put the cover on the egg I oil the DFMT and it looks like the day I got it  but my next question is is it much different controlling the temp with the stainless top then the DFMT .And my last question is will the factory cover still fit on the egg with the stainless top oh one more question sorry  can you shut down the egg with the stainless top or do I still need my ceramic damper cap to shut down the egg thank you in advance 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • RRP
    Options
    I find it easier to use than the DFMT, plus the setting never changes when you open the dome like the heavy DFMT which can flop open and lose your settings. The cover still fits just fine and there is no need to revert back to the ceramic rain cap to snuff the fire...the SmokeWare seals just fine!
  • Charlesmaneri
    Options
    RRP thank you 
    Long Island N.Y.
  • dihtn
    dihtn Posts: 234
    Options
    I purchased one after my daisy wheel fell off and broke. I think it works great. Glad I bought it.
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    I love mine on the XL.  I had the same closing issues with the damper on the DFMT that caused me lots of grief.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    Options
    It looks great.  I was thinking about getting one too.  Maybe I can buy Cen-Tex's since he doesn't want it.  

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.