Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous Vide Tri-tip

Options
2»

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Found this website a few days ago, and it has been pretty helpful for someone like me who is just starting to dabble in SV

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    caliking said:
    Found this website a few days ago, and it has been pretty helpful for someone like me who is just starting to dabble in SV

That is a great one and he is all about the safe time and temps (to a fault sometimes but better safe than sorry if you don't know the rules). He is the gold standard for the home SV cook.He wears me out, but his info is very good. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I'm so interested in Sous vide. When we do our addition and I have storage space it's one of the first new appliances we are getting.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Interesting thread.  Thanks for bringing up the question.

I'm thinking of doing a sous vide tri-tip at the Coop Fest this weekend.  I've read a lot about it on various sites, including YouTube.  Most of them said 3 to 4 hours@ 132° in the sous vide bath, followed by a sear.  I'll do 4 hours.  

More than likely, I'll use Dizzy Pig Raisin' The Steak rub on it before it goes into the bath.  Maybe a couple of pinches of kosher salt, the thought being it will eventually find itself deep into the meat and not be affected by the searing process.

I'll also be doing a couple of Sam's Club ribeyes.  I know exactly how those will turn out - FANTASTIC...

I'll definitely take pictures of the process no matter what.

I'm so sore today from cleaning the Chicken  Coop yesterday that I'm thinking I'll start today with sous videing myself in 98° hot tub water this morning first thing.  Or maybe just have a Muddy Blary.  After all, it's Party Week here at the Chicken Ranch.

Spring "Trying Something For The First Time Can Be Successful Too" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I just did an SRF Tri Tip on Saturday (not Wagyu).  It turned out great.  I prefer not to season before hand.  I do take the time to remove the tri tip from original SRF packaging and re-vacuum seal it prior to suspending in the hot water bath.  131F for 10-12 hours is just about spot on perfect.   I did ten hours on Saturday.  I finished by searing on the KJ Jr.  No more than 1 minute each side.  The spice I prefer is called SZEGED Steak Rub, which is essentially a S&P, garlic and onion blend  spice (Amazon).  I actually saw this spice recommended on this forum some time ago.  I apply a little EVO and spice while I let the grill come up to temp.

LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore