Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Curing Pork Belly with Maple Syrup?

I am going to do my first pork belly this weekend.  In the book "Charcuterie", the author suggests adding maple syrup to the belly for a sweeter flavor.  I'm not sure if a should put the dry rub on the belly first and then cover it in syrup or if I should dissolve the dry rub into the syrup first.  Any ideas?  Thanks.

A northern Colorado Egghead since 2012!

XL and a Small BGE.

·

Comments

• tnbarbqtnbarbq Posts: 248
    I think I would mix the rub in with the syrup.  Not sure it would make a difference taste wise, but might be easier to deal with.
    Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
    ·
  • NDGNDG Posts: 1,207
    I did this same recipe and made a paste, then covered the belly.
    Columbus, Ohio
    ·
  • pantsypantspantsypants Posts: 1,189
    I mixed it all in and it was glorious
    i have been eating it nonstop since i smoked it on Sunday .
    I even have another piece curing in my fridge now
    007.JPG 3.1M
    Toronto
    ·
  • does not matter. I just pour the syrup in the bag after I put the belly in. You can just throw a belly in a bag, throw your cure mix in and dump the syrup in. It will all even out in a few hours.

·
  • BigWaderBigWader Posts: 588

+1 - what he said.  I trim my belly pieces, weigh them, calculate the amount of cure mix (salt, sugar, brown sugar, nitrite) for each one, weigh it out then drop the belly in the bag, sprinkle the dry a bit on either side, pour in the Maple Syrup (+a tsp of molasses per piece), seal the bag and massage a bit.  By day two it's all dissolved and even.

does not matter. I just pour the syrup in the bag after I put the belly in. You can just throw a belly in a bag, throw your cure mix in and dump the syrup in. It will all even out in a few hours.

Large BGE

·
  • Here you go. I'm doing this one and it is know in the frig for 7 days. People swear this is the best of the best.
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
    ·