Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thanksgiving turkey with platesetter and grill but no V rack b/c small Egg

Options
New to the forum but had my Egg (small) for several years.  I have a 12 lb. turkey I am doing for Thanksgiving.  Although I have a V rack, due to my Egg being a small, I don't have enough room to use the platesetter, grill and the V rack. My best option seems to be ditching the V rack and going with the platesetter and gill.  Rather than place the bird on the V rack, I will place it on the grill, with a drip pan below.  I will be using a digital thermometer to keep an eye on the temp of the bird.

Does anyone have a better solution or should I be ok placing the turkey on the grill?  
Large, Small & Mini. Marietta, GA Go DAWGS!!

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    You should be fine. Just put some kind of spacers between the platesetter and drip pan so the drippings don't burn and give off nasty smoke. You may want to truss (tie up, check YouTube) the turkey since it won't be in a pan.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • TEH68
    TEH68 Posts: 62
    Options
    Thanks.  Also considering spatchcocking the bird.  
  • DMW
    edited November 2013
    Options
    If you don't care about having a "traditional" bird for presentation, spatchcock it for sure.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • TEH68
    Options
    Presentation isn't an issue.  Even when I have done birds on the Egg Thanksgivings past, I always carved them up and plated the meat before anyone saw the bird.  
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    Options

spatchcock is the easiest method and gets done quicker than whole bird

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I don't think a 12lb bird will fit sc style. Put chicken broth in the pan... My wife will use that for the gravy. I don't have a small so someone else will kick in. Good luck. Pics please.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    Options
    sorry for confusion- I did my 12 lb bird on large...my bird would not fit on my small egg....henapple is correct

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I agree...I don't think you could spatch a 12 lb bird on a small unless you cut it all the way in half and do one half at a time.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,513
    Options
    Another option is to remove the fire ring? you may run out of lump though.
    canuckland
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    henapple is correct...

Damn, tell my wife and kids.

=))
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Kinda in the same boat here but with a ham. It likes 2" being able to close he dome. I am taking out the fire ring and goin for. I think I can do 325 or so for about 4hrs with that much lump on the small

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • TEH68
    Options
    Didn't see these posts until after putting the bird on the Egg. Too late to turn back now. Bird's been on, spatchcock, for 1.5 hrs. at 375. Was 140 at 1.5 hr mark. Will check again at 2 hr mark.
  • TEH68
    Options
    1.5 hr check.
  • TEH68
    Options
    Well, it worked! 2.5 hours at 380-400. Used Mickey's coffee rub. Can't wait to have some this afternoon.
  • golfandgrill
    Options
    Nicely done! Love the small's capabilities.
    Fighting Sioux Hockey
  • DMW
    Options
    Nice, good to know that fit on your small. I think a small is on my wishlist.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• TEH68
    Options
    I'm thinking of adding a large to my inventory.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Just curious how much lump you had left?? I am 3hrs in with the same setup(no fire ring ) and holding good

BTW - turkey looks very nice

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • TEH68
    Options
    Thanks MattMan. I used the fire ring, but probably had about an hour to hour and a half left in the lump.