Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Thanksgiving turkey with platesetter and grill but no V rack b/c small Egg

New to the forum but had my Egg (small) for several years.  I have a 12 lb. turkey I am doing for Thanksgiving.  Although I have a V rack, due to my Egg being a small, I don't have enough room to use the platesetter, grill and the V rack. My best option seems to be ditching the V rack and going with the platesetter and gill.  Rather than place the bird on the V rack, I will place it on the grill, with a drip pan below.  I will be using a digital thermometer to keep an eye on the temp of the bird.

Does anyone have a better solution or should I be ok placing the turkey on the grill?  
Large & Small BGE. Marietta, GA Go DAWGS!!

Comments

• DMWDMW Posts: 7,219
    You should be fine. Just put some kind of spacers between the platesetter and drip pan so the drippings don't burn and give off nasty smoke. You may want to truss (tie up, check YouTube) the turkey since it won't be in a pan.
    My Facebook Place where I document my cooking
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - Hasty Bake Legacy - Black Stone Pizza Oven - Gasser - 30" Firepit w/SS Cooking Grid
  • TEH68TEH68 Posts: 59
    Thanks.  Also considering spatchcocking the bird.  
    edited November 2013
    If you don't care about having a "traditional" bird for presentation, spatchcock it for sure.
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - Hasty Bake Legacy - Black Stone Pizza Oven - Gasser - 30" Firepit w/SS Cooking Grid
    Presentation isn't an issue.  Even when I have done birds on the Egg Thanksgivings past, I always carved them up and plated the meat before anyone saw the bird.  
  • pasoeggpasoegg Posts: 264

spatchcock is the easiest method and gets done quicker than whole bird

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• henapplehenapple Posts: 14,668
    I don't think a 12lb bird will fit sc style. Put chicken broth in the pan... My wife will use that for the gravy. I don't have a small so someone else will kick in. Good luck. Pics please.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • pasoeggpasoegg Posts: 264
    sorry for confusion- I did my 12 lb bird on large...my bird would not fit on my small egg....henapple is correct

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 7,074
    I agree...I don't think you could spatch a 12 lb bird on a small unless you cut it all the way in half and do one half at a time.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• CanuggheadCanugghead Posts: 4,779
    Another option is to remove the fire ring? you may run out of lump though.
    canuckland
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,668
    henapple is correct...

Damn, tell my wife and kids.

=))
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 4,988
    Kinda in the same boat here but with a ham. It likes 2" being able to close he dome. I am taking out the fire ring and goin for. I think I can do 325 or so for about 4hrs with that much lump on the small

-----------------------------------------

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
    Didn't see these posts until after putting the bird on the Egg. Too late to turn back now. Bird's been on, spatchcock, for 1.5 hrs. at 375. Was 140 at 1.5 hr mark. Will check again at 2 hr mark.
    1.5 hr check.
    image.jpg 827.8K
    Well, it worked! 2.5 hours at 380-400. Used Mickey's coffee rub. Can't wait to have some this afternoon.
    image.jpg 773.5K
  • Nicely done! Love the small's capabilities.
    Fighting Sioux Hockey
    Nice, good to know that fit on your small. I think a small is on my wishlist.
    Morgantown, PA

I'm thinking of adding a large to my inventory.
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 4,988
    edited November 2013
    Just curious how much lump you had left?? I am 3hrs in with the same setup(no fire ring ) and holding good

BTW - turkey looks very nice

-----------------------------------------

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
    Thanks MattMan. I used the fire ring, but probably had about an hour to hour and a half left in the lump.